cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5515-x SFP Command

Gentry
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5515-x and added module ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A. From the CLI, the interface is showing as GigabitEthernet1/0, and when I enter the command "media-type SFP," it says invalid input. The ASA has an SFP connector, which is up and running. Is there a specific license to enable this feature? Thanks

INFO:

sh inven
Name: "Chassis", DESCR: "ASA 5515-X with SW, 6 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt, AC"
PID: ASA5515 , VID: V04 , SN:

Name: "module 1", DESCR: "ASA 5512-X/5515-X Interface Card 6-port GE SFP, SX/LX"
PID: ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A , VID: N/A , SN: N/A

This platform has an ASA 5515 Security Plus license.

System image file is "disk0:/asa983-16-smp-k8.bin"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes correct - it is no difference in the interface (maybe you expected ethernet - means RJ45) 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Name: "module 1", DESCR: "ASA 5512-X/5515-X Interface Card 6-port GE SFP, SX/LX"
PID: ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A , VID: N/A , SN: N/A

ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A, it only supports SFP ports, there is no command required to convert them SFP again by native it is SFP, this add additional 6 SFP ports. you can configure the ports are usual with the right Optics SFP.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

BB

I have an SFP connector (Cisco GLC-LH-SM - 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP) installed. So, from what you're saying even though from the ASDM or CLI that the interface is showing GigabitEthernet it's actually SFP? Thanks

yes correct - it is no difference in the interface (maybe you expected ethernet - means RJ45) 

BB

Thanks balaji. I appreciate your feedback.

fgfuentes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Gentry is recently just installed the ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-C on my ASA 5545-X, but I have the same issue that the media-type command is not available on the ASA CLI, therefore when I try to change it by ASDM i get an error. Did it still worked for you without change the media type???

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 11.00.28 AM.png

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Cisco ASA 5545-X running iOS 9.14(2), and the "media type" command under the interface configuration is not supported. I installed the I/O card ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-C, but havent been able to test the SPF ports. Wondering if this may affect its connectivity

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card