Views
Helpful
Replies

asa 5515x and cisco 2960s

Neetu Bhushan
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

can a cisco 2960s connect to asa with multiple vlans and still route to DMZ and internet?

thanks for any comment you may add.

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have pretty much lost the track on the Cisco Switch and Router products but to my understanding all the 2900 series Switches are usually just L2 devices which dont usually handle routing. But as I said I dont know if there has been some changes regarding their abilities. To my understanding its always been the 3000 Series switches that handle L3 operation also.

I am also not sure if I understood your question correctly.

You can naturally trunk your 2960 Vlans to the ASA and let it handle the routing.

But as I said I dont quite know if I understood what you are after. Maybe you would want to expand on your question a bit more?

- Jouni

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

"can a cisco 2960s connect to asa with multiple vlans and still route to DMZ and internet?"

My understanding is 2960 is L3 switch and regardless whether it is L3 or L2, you still be able to host DMZ on the same switch on layer2 mode (i.e. to connect servers on switch-port i.e. without a SVI interface on the switch and layer2 definition alone exist on the switch and default-gateway is on the server is pointing to DMZ interface of the ASA.

Likewise accessing the internet is taken cared on the ASA.

Hope that answers your question.

thanks

Rizwan Rafeek

i will call this to support and let you know and give you the configuration. if i type ip route on 2960, there's no reply, maybe there's a command to enable routing (if not, i hope asa will do that or else put a cisco router in between asa and 2960).

thanks for the helpful comment!

harvisin
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Neetu,

I went through your query and for the same I have found the follwing link which would help you in solving your query.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_start.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card