cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5516X crashing / Locking up

jjkuzara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I am having an issue with one of our firewalls locking up and I figure I would ask here while waiting to get an issue with my support contract worked out. This is an ASA 5516X with firepower running 9.6(4).

So far this has happened twice and the only change made that aligns with the timing was setting up outbound traffic policing for some data replication to the cloud. 

The issue: The firewall seemingly randomly locks up and stops passing all traffic. observing the firewall at the time of the issue shows the "active", "status", and "power" LEDs solid green. The SSD LED is flashing normally. Interfaces on the back still have green link lights and are flashing like they are passing traffic. SSH connections do not work and console connection does not work / no output. 

The only way to fix this is to power cycle the firewall. After the reboot I checked the disk both times and found no new crashinfo files or coredumpinfo files.  

Let me know if you guys have seen this before or if this is actually a known bug. I tried searching though and didn't turn up anything.

8 Replies 8

jjkuzara
Level 1
Level 1
Also I already checked the serial number against the Clock Signal bug Field Notice and found it was not impacted by that.

adel85
Level 1
Level 1

this issue happened today with my company's firewall and had to restart it and its working fine now

but i cant find any reason to cause that problem

if you have a cisco service contract than best is do RMA. seem like this appliance is defective

please do not forget to rate.

it only happened once, there should be away to find out why this happened

This is a difficult one. have you open a cases with cisco TAC. getting a unit frozen this could lead to a point hardware issue.

SMCneteng
Level 1
Level 1
I saw a VIP CCIE say they strongly suggest of upgrade 9.8.4. its a gold start release and we already using in production we have not seen any issue in regards to anyconnect.

zuerchermi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just wanted you to know that this issues now happend twice at our customers site.
About 2 months ago, then again yesterday. Symptoms were exactly the same and a power cycle solved the Problem.

If I won't find any fix/Workaround, I think I'll have to try to upgrade to 9.8.4.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Michael

yes please processed to upgrade to 9.8.4 or 9.13.x

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card