Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 firmware upgrade to 9.1(x)

syedhashmi455
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Please advise me if cisco ASA 5520 can be upgraded from 8.0(2) TO 9.1(x) directly as 9.1(x) has a new nat configuration.

Also please advise me the effect of natting if the above task is perfomed.

Hashmi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo was making the point that your post was duplicated (this one = #12144276 and the other is #12144271). It seems to be a common issue with the new platform they migrated CSC to a couple of weeks back.

Anyhow... to your question:

Assuming you have the necessary memory in your 5520, it is recommended (required actually) your do an intermediate upgrade. Please refer to the Release Notes which recommend you first migrate to 8.4(6) and then to 9.1(x).

Part of the process in that first step is to parse the old configuration file and translate the NAT syntax. That's done automatically by the ASA when reading in a pre-8.3 configuration that uses the old syntax for NAT (and a few other things). Some people prefer to re-write the NAT section themselves, using the opportunity to revalidate and possibly clean up their current configuration. That first upgrade will generate a text file on the ASA with any errors in the parsing process indicated. You should examine and, if necessary, resolve those before taking the step up to your target 9.1(x).

If you're working with a partner, there is a tool they can use to do that translation offline for analysis outside your porduiction environment.

Be sure to have a currrent backup of your old configuration (including any pre-shared keys, certificates etc.) before beginning.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duplicate posts.  cheeky

Go here:  http://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12144271/asa-5520-firmware-upgrade-91x

It redirects me to my own post

i guess u can't upgrade

Leo was making the point that your post was duplicated (this one = #12144276 and the other is #12144271). It seems to be a common issue with the new platform they migrated CSC to a couple of weeks back.

Anyhow... to your question:

Assuming you have the necessary memory in your 5520, it is recommended (required actually) your do an intermediate upgrade. Please refer to the Release Notes which recommend you first migrate to 8.4(6) and then to 9.1(x).

Part of the process in that first step is to parse the old configuration file and translate the NAT syntax. That's done automatically by the ASA when reading in a pre-8.3 configuration that uses the old syntax for NAT (and a few other things). Some people prefer to re-write the NAT section themselves, using the opportunity to revalidate and possibly clean up their current configuration. That first upgrade will generate a text file on the ASA with any errors in the parsing process indicated. You should examine and, if necessary, resolve those before taking the step up to your target 9.1(x).

If you're working with a partner, there is a tool they can use to do that translation offline for analysis outside your porduiction environment.

Be sure to have a currrent backup of your old configuration (including any pre-shared keys, certificates etc.) before beginning.

Hello Marvin,

"If you're working with a partner, there is a tool they can use to do that translation offline for analysis outside your porduiction environment."

To which tool you are referring?

Thanks and regards,
Konstantinos

@kostasthedelegate the tool is at https://fwm.cisco.com (partner or Cisco staff access required).

FWM ExampleFWM Example

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card