Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA-5525-X FPS with IPS and firesight license

ajanelson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I am new to FirePower and Cisco licensing so please be patient with me.

We have just bought 2 ASA-5525-X with firepower services (IPS license only - L-ASA5525-TA=) and a 2 VMware firesight license to manage 2 devices.

I have setup firepower on the ASA, I have installed the Management system on VMware but I am getting quite confused with the licensing side of things.

I have Firepower 6.2.0 on the ASA and Firepower 6.2.0 management centre running in VMware.

I have added one ASA device to the management system but it's state is unlicensed and I don't know how to get it licensed.

Cisco licensing said the IPS license is contractual so there is no license to install and the device .

Looking in ASDM it says that IPS Module is disabled, should it not be enabled?

can anyone offer any advice on how to license the ASA with the management centre.

I have attached the license summary for one of the devices

thanks

3 Replies 3

dhvenkat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do you have FireSIGHT or FMC 6.2?

What are the models of the sensors you have attached.

In FirePOWER there is no license for (TA=) PID, this is a Right to use.

If you have purchased the ASA device you would have been sent a PAK for "PROTECT+CONTROL"  = IPS features.

Register this PAK on license portal to obtain the license and apply on the FireSIGHT.

- DD (Cisco SWIFT - Licensing) 

I think I have just found out why.

It looks like the supplier has sent us non-Firepower devices (both ASA  part numbers are  ASA5525-K9)

We requested the 5525-X with firepower services (part number ASA5525-FPWR-K9)

I have gone back to the supplier regarding this.

Thanks

that would do it however you still won't see the IPS license in the ASA itself. You will only see that once you redeem the (no cost) Protect and Control license you get with the FPWR SKU type. Your supplier can also order that separately.

The more important bit is the SSD - that is mandatory to run FirePOWER on the ASA 5525-X. Make sure you have that as it is required for the FirePOWER image to load and run.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card