Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5525-X Sub-interface Support

MSIS SOC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

Our organisation maintains customer networks remotely and all the clients are segregated based on VRF (ex VRFa is customer 1 , VRFb is customer 2 stc.). This VRF is configured on the Routers through which we get connected to client's network either over MPLS, P2P link etc.

Our internal servers are currently exiting through a Transparent Mode firewall to reach the Routers, which is now planned to replace with a ASA (No plan to implement ASA in transparent mode). The design requires 1 sub-interface for each client and now I am stumbling upon the fact that ASA 5525-X supports only upto 200 VLANS/Subinterfaces.

Unfortunately the overall design needs 2 Sub-interfaces for each client, theoretically i can probably support upto 100 clients only. Now the question which i have is, is there a way to increase the number of VLANS supported on this firewall? If yes how?.

Appreciate your responses

1 Reply 1

I'm not aware of a way to increase the limit. But the limit is based on the model, the bigger ASAs have a higher limit, but also with the 5555-X it's "only" 500 VLANs. If you don't need the higher inspection-throughput, then a router with firewall feature-set is probably the more flexible solution.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card