cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5540 8.4 or 9.x code? What should I use?

Joshua Engels
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of rebuilding our ASA 5540 pair.  We are currently on 8.2 code with this set of firewalls and I was going to upgrade it to 8.4 being I have a couple of other firewalls running this code currently and am familiar with it.  That said, I saw that the 9.x code is out there now.  Are there any major advantages or caveats with the 9.0 code?  I plan to use this firewall with SSL VPN and RSA SecurID integration for the next 2-3 years at least.  Hoping someone could give me some quick pointers on these two code versions and maybe share some thoughts on upgrading to 9 or staying with 8.4 line.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jocamare
Level 4
Level 4

Personal opinion.

I would stick to 8.4  since the code has been out for a longer period of time than the 9.X versions.

Not saying there's something wrong with them, it's just that we've had more time to play with 8.4.

9.X has some awesome features 8.4 doesn't, but if you get 8.4 to do all you need, I would keep it.

The "awesome features" link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps12726/qa_c67-712934.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jocamare
Level 4
Level 4

Personal opinion.

I would stick to 8.4  since the code has been out for a longer period of time than the 9.X versions.

Not saying there's something wrong with them, it's just that we've had more time to play with 8.4.

9.X has some awesome features 8.4 doesn't, but if you get 8.4 to do all you need, I would keep it.

The "awesome features" link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps12726/qa_c67-712934.html

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  That's kinda what I was thinking.  Just wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card