Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5540 reload unexpectedly

jose.martineza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a ASA5540, and from a couple of weeks this equipment have a problem. Reload unexpectedly one time for week. I have seen the crashinfo, but I did't understand anything. Do you know if with the crashinfo I can do something to know what is wrong with my ASA?  Have the crashinfo information to help me to resolve that problem?

Tanks for your help

sincerely

Jose Martinez

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, if the ASA reload with crashinfo, the crashinfo can be decoded. However, you would need to open a case with the TAC, so the engineer can decode the crash info, and see if it matches any existing bugs. If it does, then more than likely, they will request an upgrade to the version that has the bug fix. If it doesn't match any specific bug, then the engineer will further investigate the issue.

If the ASA reloads with crash file, it is always a software upgrade which is required. Please open a case with the TAC for further assistance.

ok, then I will do that.  But Do you know if I need upgrade my cisco software, for example to 8.3 version, should I pay for it? or cisco will give to me for free?

Thanks so much

Hello,

It depends upon your contract. If you have access to the software, you should be able to download the software without any issues. If you do not have access to the download site (your username/password does not work), then open a case with TAC and request them to publish the image for you.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Pls kindly be advised that there are major changes to version 8.3 from previous version. If you are currently running version earlier than 8.3, I would advise that you check out the changes (NAT has completely changed from version 8.3 onwards), as well as minor changes to access-list. Further to that, there is more memory requirement to run version 8.3 depending on which ASA you have, and i suggest that you check the release notes.

Here is the release notes for version 8.3:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/release/notes/asarn83.html

Otherwise, pls open a TAC case so an engineer can confirm and assist further.

To upgrade, as long as you have Smartnet contract and your CCO ID is linked to the contract, you can download the software free.

Hope that helps and if you have no further question, please kindly mark the post as answered. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: