Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5545-X No Boot Image Loop

Mereinid
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning or afternoon, everyone.

I have an ASA 5545-X that is reloading constantly and with a 'no boot image' to load from. I reset it to factory defaults and reloaded/restarted it, that was yesterday morning. I have put it into 0x41 & 0X1 and tried reset's, several times, to no avail. I have a lock-key thumb drive that has an image on it, however the ASA does not see it and therefore will not allow me to copy it over and boot from that image.

How do I get the image onto the ASA from the thumb drive? Once the ASA reloads/restarts the thumb drive will lock and I have to unlock it, so I can't boot from the thumb drive. Where I am employed, we are unable to use any other unprotected/unlockable media.

The '?' does not show a 'Copy' command while I am in rommon. For context, we are sending the ASA back to Cisco as the physical port 0/0 is damaged and therefore I cannot connect to the ASA that way. All the articles I have read online are mentioning to set up a TFTP using g0/0. Well, that can't be done as the damage to the interface housing. Cisco support is asking for: 'sh int g0/0 and a sh ip int g0/0', this is why I am trying to put an image back on the ASA, as I unable to run those commands from rommon.

Might any of the big brains around here be able to talk me through to getting an image onto the ASA or is there some kind of basic *default* image on there that I am not seeing that I can have the ASA load to? 

I appreciate your time and attention for this. 

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can download from cisco :

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284143130/type/280775065/release/9.14.4%20Interim

copy in to USB .bin file and connect USB to ASA :

Power on the ASA

Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt boot.
Use SPACE to begin boot immediately.

>dir disk1:  ( you see will see content in USB)

> boot disk1:asaimage.bin  ( replace asaimage with the .bin file)

Once it boot success, copy the image from USB to ASA Flash

copy below thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/asa5506-usb-boot-in-rommon/td-p/4608155

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello and thank you, BB, for your assistance on this issue. I followed the directions, however, it did not work. I have taken some pictures of the attempts. The ASA does not see the USB thumb-drive. I am sure, these photos, will explain it far better than I did, as to what is happening. 

Thanks, again, for your help!

v/r,

Mereinid

what kind of USB you using ?  should be  FAT-32 File System

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/5500xhw/asa_overview.html#78198

BB

Is your USB drive formatted with FAT32 filesystem? That's required.

Mereinid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello BB & Marvin (Great name!).

Yes sir's the SecureKey is Fat32.

that should recognize, if you lower size of USB like 8 or 16 GB worth trying.

if none worked either you need to use TFTP to load image.

(my case most time USB works) 

BB

Mereinid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello BB, thank you for the advice. The USB would not be recognized even when I dropped it down to an 8GB drive a co-worker used. 

He ended up creating at TFTP and putting the .bin onto the workstation I was using and uploaded the image from there over a cat5 plugged into the management port.

It's loading the image as I type this. Thanks guys, again, for your time and assistance on this.

Have a good upcoming weekend.

v/r,

Mereinid

Glad out suggestion helped and you were able to resolve the issue., we mark as resolved now.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: