Replies

asa 5550 ips/csc card support ??

mirehteshamali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

i m looking for asa 5550 product .

Part # ASA5550-BUN-K9 - Cisco ASA 5550 Appliance with SW, HA, 8GE+1FE, 3DES/AES

1) does 5550 contains built in CSC / IPS modules. ?

why i  m asking because the "quick refrence guide " indicates that expansion slots are not available.

2) can asa 5550 natively protects natively against networks attacks against virus / worms  etc with out CSC OR IPS MODULE. ?? if yes then kindly give me some links for configuration .

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

None of the ASA models come by default with either IPS or CSC card. All card/module needs to be separately included in the ASA bundle when you purchase it.

You are correct, the CSC and AIP modules are not available for ASA 5550, only for ASA 5510, 5520 and 5540.

Both ASA 5550 and 5580 do not have capabilities to add CSC or AIP modules.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

None of the ASA models come by default with either IPS or CSC card. All card/module needs to be separately included in the ASA bundle when you purchase it.

You are correct, the CSC and AIP modules are not available for ASA 5550, only for ASA 5510, 5520 and 5540.

Both ASA 5550 and 5580 do not have capabilities to add CSC or AIP modules.

Thnaks for reply ,

can you also elobrate me on the following

defaul asa image ie mean what image the box contains by default ?

i guess with out CSC or IPS modules my network will be vulnerable to attacks against virus :-)

Default ASA image is what the ASA is shipped out to you with, ie: what was in the box initially when it is shipped out.

Without the CSC or IPS modules integration available on the ASA platform, you can get Cisco IPS 4200 series appliance for the IPS functionality and Cisco IronPort Web Security Appliance for the Web filtering functionality that CSC module has.

thanks

sorry i was unclear with my question

i wanted the version no ie 8.0 (2) or 8.0(3)  or 8.1 etc.  that box contains by default  when  it  is shipped out .

regards.

No, unfortunately Cisco doesn't ship out the ASA with the version of code of your request. It will be pre-loaded with a version of code, however, you won't know what the version of code is until you receive the ASA. Normally, it will be shipped out with later version of code. However, you can always upgrade or downgrade the ASA to the version that you want on the ASA.

Would it be possible to remove the SSM-4GE module and install a CSC/IPS module?

No, CSC/IPS module is not supported on the ASA5550 platform.

Here is the URL for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_home.html#~tab-b

Thanks for the quick response.   I have seen the documentation that says "not support"  but was hoping for a more detailed explanation of why. 

The 4GE card in 5550 is bolted in this platform, and it wasn't program to support the SSM module.

If you try to remove the 4GE card, the ASA will go into boot loop as it is not meant to be removed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card