Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 8.2(1) - SNMP Masked

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi All

Just a quick one. in ASA 8.2(1) is the SNMP community name masked when seeing in running config ?

"snmp-server community *****"

Is this a default feature or can be turned off ?

Raj

6 Replies 6

on my ASA running 8.0 it shows the community in clear text.

Hi,

I also see the SNMP community masked.

But you can do:  more system:running-config to see the actual string in the configuration.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

Fredrico

Thanks.. I know my SNMP string.. the issue is :

we are using NCM to check compliance for ASA devices, and since NCM doesnt see the community string on the running config, it marks the device as non-compliant. We want to avoid this.. We need community string to be unmasked.. Is there a command I can unmask this?

Regards

Probably that changes depending on the version i will set a lab and let you know

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Any luck with this?

I still dont see any commands in 8.2(1) which can unmask the SNMP string . If not possible, Ill have to create an exception in NCM !

Thanks in advance

I tested on verison 8.0.4 and it shows in clear text then I tested in 8.2.2 and now it shows just *********

Here is what the command reference shows on 8.0

snmp-server community text

And this is what is shows on 8.2

snmp-server community community-string

The text argument was changed to the community-string argument.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa82/command/reference/s8.html#wp1508233

This was an enhancement on the command to provide better security.

I hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card