cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 8.2, 8.4, 9.0, 9.1

achen2000
Level 1
Level 1

When I go to the OS software section for the ASA, I see the latest release are 8.2.5, 8.4.6, 9.1.2, 9.0.3. Does anybody know the difference between them? Is there a comparison chart for this purpose?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "New Features by Release" document has a detailed listing.

At a high level:

- 8.2.x is the older release train. Old style NAT syntax and works with less memory required on older hardware. Fewer next generation firewall features (identity, context, etc.).

- 8.4.x. Includes new NAT syntax, introduces Identity features among others.

- 9.0.x. Integrates features from 8.4 8.5 and 8.6 (platform-specific) into a single image. Couple new incremental features. Supports clustering on high end appliances.

- 9.1.x Introduces CX Context Aware security module support.

The 3rd ordinal (.x) generally speaking may add a few minor features and is mostly bug fixes within a given major release.

View solution in original post

Yes. Assuming your appliance has adequate memory,

Either 8.4 (6) or 9.0(3) are the most stable current releases (in terms of bug fixes addressed).

Going with 9.0(3) would be a better choice in my opinion.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "New Features by Release" document has a detailed listing.

At a high level:

- 8.2.x is the older release train. Old style NAT syntax and works with less memory required on older hardware. Fewer next generation firewall features (identity, context, etc.).

- 8.4.x. Includes new NAT syntax, introduces Identity features among others.

- 9.0.x. Integrates features from 8.4 8.5 and 8.6 (platform-specific) into a single image. Couple new incremental features. Supports clustering on high end appliances.

- 9.1.x Introduces CX Context Aware security module support.

The 3rd ordinal (.x) generally speaking may add a few minor features and is mostly bug fixes within a given major release.

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I am not sure if there is any chart to compare these softwares. I think the Cisco Router softwares had (or still has) a site online where you can actually compare software and what they support. I don't know of any such thing for the Cisco firewalls though I haven't really looked.

The best place to start would probably be to look at the ASA release notes section which mentions what was added in each Major, Minor or Maintanance update.

The complete list should be here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_release_notes_list.html

The software level 8.2 is the last software before the big change in the NAT configuration format. Any other software level after that has a completely different NAT configuration format among other things like ACLs.

- Jouni

Yeh, I read those release note but am thinking if there's  a chart, it'll be more simple for me to make the decision.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Sadly the only place where you can actually compare softwares in any way is this

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/

But it seems to be only related to the Routers and Switches. No mention of ASAs there

I haven't seen any other listing other than the one I posted and the even greater one that Marvin posted.

- Jouni

Hi, Jouni

Thanks for the link, I don't know there's such a tool before. It's usefull. Hope Cisco can add other products into it.

achen2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Marvin

Thanks for the clarification. Do you think the 9.0 can fit the normal daily job if I don't need/have the Context Aware security?

Yes. Assuming your appliance has adequate memory,

Either 8.4 (6) or 9.0(3) are the most stable current releases (in terms of bug fixes addressed).

Going with 9.0(3) would be a better choice in my opinion.

We got the newer ASA so the memory should be OK.

Thank you.

You'll need the new variant with integrated SSD in order to run CX services. It's only been available a couple of months, or so. And appropriate licencing of course

Dear All

Anybody can help me that I want to upgrade asa 5555x form 9.1 to 9.8.

Is there any syntax change?

Do I need to do again the configuration?

Regards

Syed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: