Helpful
Replies

ASA Active/Standby keeps restarting

Nub65
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have 2 ASAs in active/standby mode. We are recently getting this error:

%ASA-1-103001: (Secondary) No response from other firewall (reason code = 4).

When I checked the asa uptime, I found that both ASAs are keep restarting. Both of their uptime are always belove one day.

I checked the physical part/electricity and everything seems to be working properly.

Has anyone ever had this kind of problem? I am listing ASA software version and model below.

Software Version 9.6(3)1

ASA5525

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have any Monitoring system in place to monitor this devices ?  ( i have seen this bug some time back if the device live more than 200days).

other suggestions :

break the HA and check is the Device still reboot part of troubleshoot process.

if new version available worth upgrading also.

as per the message you have below conditions.

Message: %ASA-1-103001: (Primary) No response from other firewall (reason code = code).

Event 103001 is generated when the primary unit is unable to communicate with the secondary unit over the failover cable. The message contains a reason code, which varies depending on the reason for the failover. The list of reason codes and their descriptions are:

• The local unit is not receiving the hello packet on the failover LAN interface when LAN failover occurs or on the serial failover cable when serial failover occurs, and declares that the peer is down.
  • An interface did not pass one of the four failover tests, which are: link Up, monitor for network traffic, ARP, and broadcast ping.
  • No proper ACK for more than 15 seconds after a command was sent on the serial cable.
  • The failover LAN interface is down, and other data interfaces are not responding to additional interface testing. In addition, the local unit is declaring that the peer is down.
  • The Standby peer went down during the configuration synchronization process.
  • Replication is not complete and the failover unit is not synchronized.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have any Monitoring system in place to monitor this devices ?  ( i have seen this bug some time back if the device live more than 200days).

other suggestions :

break the HA and check is the Device still reboot part of troubleshoot process.

if new version available worth upgrading also.

as per the message you have below conditions.

Message: %ASA-1-103001: (Primary) No response from other firewall (reason code = code).

Event 103001 is generated when the primary unit is unable to communicate with the secondary unit over the failover cable. The message contains a reason code, which varies depending on the reason for the failover. The list of reason codes and their descriptions are:

• The local unit is not receiving the hello packet on the failover LAN interface when LAN failover occurs or on the serial failover cable when serial failover occurs, and declares that the peer is down.
  • An interface did not pass one of the four failover tests, which are: link Up, monitor for network traffic, ARP, and broadcast ping.
  • No proper ACK for more than 15 seconds after a command was sent on the serial cable.
  • The failover LAN interface is down, and other data interfaces are not responding to additional interface testing. In addition, the local unit is declaring that the peer is down.
  • The Standby peer went down during the configuration synchronization process.
  • Replication is not complete and the failover unit is not synchronized.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card