Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA ASA5506-K9 questions

LSA4
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Guys
I have a few questions that i need answers for please. I am still new to this field
Does the ASA5506-K9 come with Content Filtering, VPN and a reporting feature by default?
Can i see how much bandwidth the users are using and what websites they going to?
I cant see the AMP, IPS and URL filtering options under the ASA5506-K9 sku, do i have to choose the ASA5506-FPWR-BUN
and last but not least, under Base Software Version, what is the difference between the below
ASA 9.5 Software image for ASA 5506/5508/5516 series(SF-ASA-K-9.5-K8) and the 
ASA 9.5 Software image for ASA 5506/5508/5516 series(SF-ASA-TD6.0.1-K9)

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there! My answers below:

1) "Does the ASA5506-K9 come with Content Filtering, VPN and a reporting feature by default?"

NS: Yes and No :)

1.1 For VPN: By default you get the site-to-site VPN free of charge. For remote-access VPN, you will need to purchase AnyConnect licenses. There two types: Plus and Apex and the type would depend on the features that you need. 

1.1 For Content Filtering: You will need to be a bit more specific here. However, by default you can do some limited HTTP URL filtering. However, I am guessing you will need something more advanced and this is where FirePOWER URL Filtering and Application Visibility Control would come in. The AVC feature would come with the purchase of the FirePOWER bundle (FPWR-BUN) but the URL filtering is a paid subscription that will need to be added

2) "Can i see how much bandwidth the users are using and what websites they going to?"

NS: Yes, you can do some nice reports with the FirePOWER services module. For that though you will need to also purchase and install Cisco's Defense Center / FireSIGHT Management Center appliance. 

3) "I cant see the AMP, IPS and URL filtering options under the ASA5506-K9 sku, do i have to choose the ASA5506-FPWR-BUN"

NS: You don't have to choose the FPWR bundle and pick the part numbers separately. However, using the FPWR bundle makes things easier as that will also include other required components such as the SSD, Control License, etc.

4) "and last but not least, under Base Software Version, what is the difference between the below"

NS: The Cisco team is creating a new software for the security appliances that combines. That new software will combine features from both the legacy ASA code and the Sourcefire code. So, the first software image that you listed is just the good old ASA code while the second one is the new Threat Defense (TD) code.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there! My answers below:

1) "Does the ASA5506-K9 come with Content Filtering, VPN and a reporting feature by default?"

NS: Yes and No :)

1.1 For VPN: By default you get the site-to-site VPN free of charge. For remote-access VPN, you will need to purchase AnyConnect licenses. There two types: Plus and Apex and the type would depend on the features that you need. 

1.1 For Content Filtering: You will need to be a bit more specific here. However, by default you can do some limited HTTP URL filtering. However, I am guessing you will need something more advanced and this is where FirePOWER URL Filtering and Application Visibility Control would come in. The AVC feature would come with the purchase of the FirePOWER bundle (FPWR-BUN) but the URL filtering is a paid subscription that will need to be added

2) "Can i see how much bandwidth the users are using and what websites they going to?"

NS: Yes, you can do some nice reports with the FirePOWER services module. For that though you will need to also purchase and install Cisco's Defense Center / FireSIGHT Management Center appliance. 

3) "I cant see the AMP, IPS and URL filtering options under the ASA5506-K9 sku, do i have to choose the ASA5506-FPWR-BUN"

NS: You don't have to choose the FPWR bundle and pick the part numbers separately. However, using the FPWR bundle makes things easier as that will also include other required components such as the SSD, Control License, etc.

4) "and last but not least, under Base Software Version, what is the difference between the below"

NS: The Cisco team is creating a new software for the security appliances that combines. That new software will combine features from both the legacy ASA code and the Sourcefire code. So, the first software image that you listed is just the good old ASA code while the second one is the new Threat Defense (TD) code.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: