morabusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have the following versions in my Firewall:

ASA: 9.5(3)

ASDM: 7.7(1)

FirePOWER: 6.2.0-362

I need to upgrade the ASA version to 9.8(4) but I am having issues to understand if I need to upgrade anything else. If I check the ASA and Firepower compatibility, I can see that 6.2.X FirePOWER module is compatible with ASDM 7.7(1) and ASA 9.8.X but when I check ASA and ASDM compatibility, the Cisco document says that ASA 9.8(4) is compatible with ASDm 7.12(1). So, I am really confused if I can use ASA 9.8(4) with ASDM 7.7(1) according to this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html#id_59423

Can you please help me with this? Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use that newer ASA software while retaining the older ASDM. However you won't see (from the ASDM GUI) any of the new features it introduces until you also upgrade the ASDM.

There's generally no harm in upgrading ASDM since that only affects what the admin users see when configuring the firewall.

If you're even using the Firepower service module you should consider upgrading it for its own sake. Version 6.2.0 is getting quite old relatively speaking.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

morabusa
Level 1
Level 1

Adding more info, here you can check the screens about the parts which confused me. Thank you.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use that newer ASA software while retaining the older ASDM. However you won't see (from the ASDM GUI) any of the new features it introduces until you also upgrade the ASDM.

There's generally no harm in upgrading ASDM since that only affects what the admin users see when configuring the firewall.

If you're even using the Firepower service module you should consider upgrading it for its own sake. Version 6.2.0 is getting quite old relatively speaking.

Thank you very much. Yes, we will take opportunity to upgrade the Firepower service module too. Thanks :-)!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card