Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA & ASDM upgrade

actica123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a Cisco ASA5510 which came last year with the default software installed:

asa708-k8.bin

asdm-508.bin

i have successfully configured the vpn and security rules etc.

i would now like to upgrade the asdm and asa software, so i downloaded all the new software levels from the appropriate part of the cisco website

i have managed to upgrade the asdm to 509 using the following process:

asdm image disk0:/asdm509.bin

wr me

reload

If i try any other higher version such as 511 i get the error:

"Device Manager image set, but not a valid image file"

I have read that you can get this error and it doesn't matter, so if i continue and write the setting to flash and reboot - then i can't get into the asdm once it has rebooted.

I have also tried updating the boot system variable to later software (eg 711) as well as the asdm (611). When the system reboots it seems to see the new asa software but it will not boot it. it does not spit out any errors but keeps recycling back to the choice of booting in 10 seconds or press escape to stop, whereby i have to boot it back into the 708 level of the software from the rommon# command line

i am not using tftp (which i don't believe is so necessary anymore) and i used the asdm to upload the newer downloaded files from my laptop to the device. are there any more checks that i can make to verify the software other than filesize?

what further options have i got?

thanks

20 Replies 20

Hi

ok thanks for both your answers and suggestions (kusankar and allenpch) i think i understand - and it sort of makes sense.

i will try this - have to do it out of hours on thursday night (UK time) - so i will repost on friday morning (UK time) what the results are

dickon

ok great!

thanks very much - did this last night and it worked perfectly! it's nice to know that there is an up to date software on the system rather than something 2 years old - which was a year out of date when we bought the device!

is there a particular version of java which will work with this version - i have been holding back on java 6 update 7, since anything newer would not work with the 5.0(8) asdm. which level can i upgrade to?

at some point i will investigate upgrading to 8.X when i have the time....- i see there are other discussions discussing this  and i don't want to break everything for everybody!

cheers for all the help

dickon

Hi Dickon,

Glad to hear you were able to successfully upgrade the ASA.  Here are the Release Notes for ASDM 5.2(5), seems like any version of Java 6 is supported:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa72/asdm52/release/notes/asdmrn525.html#wp156974

Hope that helps!

sorry for digging up old thread.

i am preparing to upgrade my asa(7.0(8) and adsm 5.0(8), and realised that i need to do it in an increment manner.

i am looking to upgrade to the latest asa 8.3 and adsm available.

what are the software version sequence i should take?

something like this for ASA - 7.0(8) > 7.1 > 7.2 > 8.0 > 8.1 > 8.2 > 8.3

Right. You should have spun up a new thread.

Here is the link: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12690

-KS

Thanks
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: