cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

ASA Deployment 2100 Deployment use cases for Appliance vs Platform mode

Hi, I've got a pair of FPR-2120 (new to me) sitting on my workbench and started to tinker with FXOS as ASA Deployment  before opening up the documentation to formally learn more about it.... (I've been working with the 55xx for a while) As a result of the documentation I've come to learn a few new definitions in version 9.13.....

To paraphrase you can now run the units in 2 modes as of 9.13!

• Platform mode - gives you the full functionality of FXOS (as version prior).
  • Appliance mode(new) - remove the complexities of initial FXOS setup , and is more like 55xx ASA SW but can access FXOS if needed.  

The documentation doesn't really provide any use-cases for one VS the other (nor dose CLI books), and was wondering what the community thinks to choose one over the another.

as I've not used this version HW or SW before,so I'm not aware of any particular software limitations/gotcha learn from experience in deploying these..... at the moment, I see in the doc there not support in for Backup nor AAA in Platform mode,......Ouch    

I think my use could go either way as it's for a remote office via internet over IPSEC VPN(managed remotely). where the FXOS management network could sit behind the ASA inside interface off a switch SVI .(effectively routed via ASA to the SVI to reach that network.).  at the moment.   

Thanks for considering my request.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Guru

Appliance mode is brand new and more likely to have bugs in the initial release. Personally I'd steer clear of it outside the lab for now.

You noted the obvious differentiators already. If those are important to our operational environment then test it in the lab and consider adopting sooner rather than later. Otherwise sit back with the existing model and let others blaze the trail ahead of you.

Content for Community-Ad