Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA failover with N7k and vPC

ramikamel911
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm connecting an ASAs as Active/standby failover to nexus 7000.

Please find the attached network diagram to understand the setup.

- No direct cable between the two ASAs.

- Failover link is done by connecting g0/3 to N7k1 and N7K2 (as the diagram).

- vPC peer-link is there between the two N7k.

- Using this setup, Failover is working fine. (Failover vlans are passing through vPC peer-link)

- As the recommendation, i understood that it is not recommended to use the vPC peer-link to pass the failover vlans (in our case vlan 5 and 6).

Is it true?

+ And based on this recommendation:
 - I removed vlans 5 and 6 from the vPC peer-link.
 - I created new link between the two N7ks "trunk" and allowed only vlans 5 & 6.

After doing this step, failover keep failing and both ASAs are not detecting each others.

Any idea how to solve this issue?

Regards

12 Replies 12

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you share the running-config and status for the Nexus trunk interfaces (to each other and to the ASAs)?

i.e.,

show run int Eth__/__

show int Eth __/__ 

Hi Marvin,

I will collect show interface and send it, but now i have the following "show-run interfaces":

N7K-1:

interface Ethernet3/19
  description ### ASA Failover , connected to N7k-2 ###
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 5,6
  speed 1000
  no shutdown

N7K-2:

interface Ethernet3/19
  description ### ASA Failover , connected to N7k-1 ###
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  speed 1000
  no shutdown

ASAs:

interface Ethernet3/5
  description ### Connected to ASA-1 ###
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  speed 1000

interface Ethernet3/5
  description ### Connected to ASA-2 ###
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  speed 1000
  no shutdown

Regards

Those are pretty straightforward and one would expect them to work. Perhaps the information from the interfaces showing their current status will shed some light.

Thanks for your reply.

As i remember all ports were up, anyhow, i will collect and share them.

Regards.

Hi Marvin,

Attached you can find the show interfaces output.

Regards,

Rami

Hmm those look OK.

Can you "show spanning-tree vlan 5" ( and 6)? on the Nexus's?

Hi Marvin.

I attached show spanning-tree output.

Regards

For some reason both N7k-1 and N7k-2 are reporting they are root - as i f they still thought those VLANs were connected via vPC. Did you clear VLANs 5 and 6 from the the peer link?

If you look at N7k-2 it is blocking on Eth3/19 (the connection to N7k-1). That will keep the ASAs from seeing each other via that connection.

You might want to refer to this troubleshooting spanning-tree document for NX-OS.

Hi Marvin,

Yes i removed those two vlans from the vPC peer link by removing them from the allowed vlans.

Regards

I'd engage the TAC to have a look at your spanning-tree setup in real time. It would probably resolve your issue more quickly to open a Service Request from CSC. There should be a link in the top right of your view with instruction on doing that.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your reply.

- If i have an issue with spanning tree, why do you think it is working fine over vPV peer link?

- Both switches are active because we configured peer switch under vPC, and in this case both spanning tree priority should be same.

Regards,

I suspected you had setup peer switch. When you have a VPC, the NX-OS uses a  virtual bridge-ID designed to work with VPC and spanning tree isn't an issue. When you are running hybrid mode (see this link) Cisco recommends you set "spanning-tree pseudo information".

I've not done that myself which is why I defer to to and recommend engaging the TAC as I'd not want you to have unforeseen consequences with your 7k core as a result of something I had recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card