cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Firepower getting ignored

Infuscomus
Level 1
Level 1

After receiving some user reports, apparently all Firepower rules are getting ignored in my ASA-5508X.

I was unable to find what is wrong.

Nothing related to Firepower was recently modified. 

The SFR policy is the same and enabled. It matches all LAN segments towards any IP.

But Access Control Policy seems to be completely ignored/bypassed.

Using the packet tracer shows that any IP that suppose to be blocked in the ACP goes through without any problem.

How can I properly identify the problem ?

8 Replies 8

Well, packet tracer will only provide the result of the ASA verdict of the traffic and does not include what Firepower will do to the traffic.  If you jump to the Firepower CLI and issue the command system support diagnostic-cli, enter the client IP and leave everything else blank, and then run a test.  What rule are you hitting.  If you se no traffic at all, then traffic is not being redirected to Firepower.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Infuscomus
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

Apparently this is a problem with some objects suddenly missing from the main network objects group.

This is fixable, so it was not a serious issue.

Objects that suddenly go missing should not happen.  If this continues, I suggest opening a TAC case as this sounds a lot like a bug.

--

I think Marius meant to say system support firewall-engine-debug command to capture the traffic subnet to the ACP. Check if snort is engine is running, if not, try to restart it with the command pmtool restartbytype snort.

D'OH!  Correct Aref, I meant firewall-engine-debug.

--

Thanks for the feedback.

The last serious problem I encountered was licenses suddenly not correctly detected witch of course caused lack of certain licensed functionality.

I will follow closely to see if similar anomalies occur.

What version of ASA/SFR are you running?

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.8(2)
Firepower Extensible Operating System Version 2.2(2.52)
Device Manager Version 7.13(1)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card