cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA IPV6 Routed or Transparent Mode

amercer00
Level 5
Level 5

I wanted to start looking at IPV6.  Does anyone know, in general, if most companies will be using routed (NAT) mode or transparent mode when they move to IPV6.  It seems that if I keep my ASA in routed mode, then I can run a dual-stack setup.  However, I would then have to NAT my IPV6 traffic.  If I switch to transparent mode, I can make use of all of my IPV6 addresses, but I don't think that I can run a dual-stack in that case, usless I set up another device to do my NATting.  Am I correct?  What will the general trend be?

Thanks,

Allen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brremmel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Allen,

It depends on where the ASA is being deployed. Most deployments involving IPv6 are done at the edge where routed mode is most natural. The ASA would be deployed as the gateway between inside networks and the Internet, and it can also NAT between IPv4 and IPv6 worlds very effectively. You can also deploy it in a dual-stack mode, if your ISP supports IPv6 addressing directly. If you deploy the ASA in transparent mode, you still need to bring an edge router.

For questions like this, I suggest you head over to our main support community, where you can hear directly from customers: https://supportforums.cisco.com/

Thanks,

Brian

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

brremmel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Allen,

It depends on where the ASA is being deployed. Most deployments involving IPv6 are done at the edge where routed mode is most natural. The ASA would be deployed as the gateway between inside networks and the Internet, and it can also NAT between IPv4 and IPv6 worlds very effectively. You can also deploy it in a dual-stack mode, if your ISP supports IPv6 addressing directly. If you deploy the ASA in transparent mode, you still need to bring an edge router.

For questions like this, I suggest you head over to our main support community, where you can hear directly from customers: https://supportforums.cisco.com/

Thanks,

Brian

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card