Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA upgrade and activation key

binelipetrov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 7.0 version on ASA 5520 with UR license. I want to upgrade it to 7.2.2. Do I have to manually enter activation key after upgrade? If i have to do that, what is a procedure: show activation-key before upgrade, and afrer upgrade activation-key command?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

mj11
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

You should not need to enter the key after the upgrade, but its all ways a goo idea to keep a copy of the configuration + activation key, the followings should be enough:

hostname(config)#show version

To enter the activation key, enter the following command:

hostname(config)# activation-key key

Regards

MJ

mherald
Level 1
Level 1

You are not required to upgrade the activiation key as well, that will be upgraded with the unit. The activation keys are tied to the serial number of the box, they activiation keys will only work on that specific unit. If you have to recover the OS of the box for some reason, you would have to re-enter the information, but not for an upgrade. However, during any upgrade, having the information with you, always is a good idea.

Additionally when ordering upgrades for various features addtiional user licenses are very different from initial users, be clear when requesting that. Say for example you want an additional 50 SSL users, it is different than a 50 user SSL key/code.

Any reason you are not upgrading to 8.0(2)?

Mike

Well, customer are changing ASA with a new one, and I have no time to chack is there any compatibility issues between 7.2.2 and 8.0 configuration...so it is easier just to tftp configuration file to new ASA. Upgrading to 8.0 is next step

Hi

I would stay on the 7.2.2(x) release unless you need one of the extra features that 8.0 gives you E.g WebVpn. Why id the customer changing the ASA,

Regards MJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card