cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA VPN, NAT, and ACL

Mr.Christian
Level 1
Level 1

So I have an ASA with a site-to-site VPN setup to say, remote network 10.10.10.0/24.  My inside network is PAT to the local VPN network of 55.55.55.55/32.  I can create ACL on the inside interface that affect traffic across the VPN tunnel just fine.

My question is for RA VPN anyconnect users.  I need to create an (outside,outsite) PAT rule and add the remote VPN network to their split tunnel.  But for ACL, no rules I create on the inside or outside interface seem to affect RA VPN user traffic across the VPN tunnel.  How might I make that work?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Hi,
You'll need "same-security-traffic permit intra-interface" to permit traffic to hairpin (enter and exit the same interface).

HTH

Correct, we already have a lot of traffic hairpinned on this ASA. That's all working fine.

My question was on how to ACL traffic coming in from Anyconnect RA VPN users.

What ACL have you defined and in which direction? Please run packet-tracer from the CLI and provide the output for review.

I tried just putting a ICMP4 block from the Anyconnect subnet to the remote VPN network range:

access-list inside_access_in_2 line 1 extended deny icmp any object DELTA-BI360_VPN_DST object-group ICMP4

access-list outside_access_in_2 line 1 extended deny icmp object Obj-10.10.22.0 object DELTA-BI360_VPN_DST object-group ICMP4

Keep in mind that even though the below packet-tracer is showing DROP, the ping still works from an Anyconnect client:

pack input outside icmp 10.10.22.23 8 0 10.162.0.7

Phase: 1
Type: UN-NAT
Subtype: static
Result: ALLOW
Config:
nat (outside,outside) source dynamic Obj-10.10.22.0 EXT-72.1.110.145 destination static DELTA-BI360_VPN_DST DELTA-BI360_VPN_DST
Additional Information:
NAT divert to egress interface outside
Untranslate 10.162.0.7/0 to 10.162.0.7/0

Phase: 2
Type: ACCESS-LIST
Subtype: log
Result: DROP
Config:
access-group outside_access_in_2 in interface outside
access-list outside_access_in_2 extended deny icmp object Obj-10.10.22.0 object DELTA-BI360_VPN_DST object-group ICMP4
object-group icmp-type ICMP4
icmp-object echo
icmp-object echo-reply
icmp-object time-exceeded
icmp-object traceroute
icmp-object unreachable
Additional Information:

Result:
input-interface: outside
input-status: up
input-line-status: up
output-interface: outside