cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 Multiple Licenses

Cybervex3
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA5505 with the base license and need to create a fully functional DMZ and 15 SSL connections. I know I need to purchase the Sec+ license but am unsure on what to buy for the SSLs.

Can I purchase 2 ASA5505-SSL10-K9 to achieve 20 SSL or do I have to purchase ASA5505-SSL25-K9 which is way more than I will ever need for this location? I have never tried to install 2 of the same type of license before.

Thanks in advance

Jay

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you can't purchase 2 ASA5505-SSL10-K9 to achieve 20 SSL VPN connections. You would need to purchase the 25 SSL license.

Which type of SSL VPN do you need?

There are 2 types of license:

1) AnyConnect Essential - this is similar to the IPSec VPN Client (ie: providing full tunnel mode), and this is license that you enable and you get the full 25 SSL full tunnel mode connections.

2) AnyConnect Premium - this is user based SSL VPN license, as you stated above, comes in 10 or 25 user license for ASA5505. This supports clientless SSL VPN, full tunnel SSL VPN and all the advance feature of SSL VPN.

If you just need the full tunnel SSL VPN, then you can just purchase the AnyConnect Essential license which is less expensive compared to the AnyConnect Premium license.

Users will connect using the AnyConnect client but I would like to use the sign on before windows.  Would this require the essential or premium?  We are also purchasing the AnyConnect mobility license.

Yes, SBL (Start Before Logon) feature is supported on AnyConnect Essential license, and yes, AnyConnect mobility is also supported with Essential license.

Here is the feature supported by AnyConnect Essential (Table 1):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect30/feature/guide/anyconnect30features.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card