Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5506X Crash and Reboot - about every hour

larrycraig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been experiencing random network outages, then when I investigate the problem is resolved. Today I manged to determine that the failure was at the ASA 5506.  It was no longer connected to any network interfaces and completely rebooted. The only thing that I can find in the logs is the following entries that coincide with the time of the outage:

ASA-3-323001: Module in slot slot_num experienced a control channel communications failure.

Since initially posting this I have captured the last crash and reboot which is now attached.

If someone could please look at the log and give me some direction it would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

looking into you crash file. its show "Thread Name: Unicorn Proxy Thread" bug ID CSCvh85514.

consider upgrading the software to stable release.

looking into your text file. your rommon firmware required upgrading the latest one. you running ROMMON, Version 1.1.13, RELEASE SOFTWARE where as the new one is asa5500-firmware-1115.SPA here 

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

larrycraig
Level 1
Level 1
ASA Version 9.8(2)
ASDM Version 7.8(2)

I have now upgraded to the latest ASA code and ASDM code and will monitor the situation.  Again, if anyone would like to look at the crash file and give me some support/direction, that would be appreciated.

If you require analysis of a crash file then you have to open a TAC case. This is the open support community and not Cisco TAC.

If you have entitlement to upgrade then you must have also entitlement for support.

Hello Marvin,

While I appreciate your response it isn't really helpful.  I am well aware that TAC can solve the problems.  But TAC is not interested slightly in teaching, they simply solve the problem and move on.  The community here, historically, is willing to help others learn.  My hope has always been to use the community to further my understanding.  

I understand but crashinfo files cannot be decoded using any publicly available tool as far as I know. Also, when a problem sounds like either hardware or an undocumented bug, it benefits more from TAC assistance than community assistance.

The community is indeed well-suited to explaining - about products and features and configuration troubleshooting. Rebooting every hour is none of those.

looking into you crash file. its show "Thread Name: Unicorn Proxy Thread" bug ID CSCvh85514.

consider upgrading the software to stable release.

looking into your text file. your rommon firmware required upgrading the latest one. you running ROMMON, Version 1.1.13, RELEASE SOFTWARE where as the new one is asa5500-firmware-1115.SPA here 

please do not forget to rate.

Sheraz,

Thank you very much, this is super helpful.  I had totally missed the ROMMON, thank you for pointing that out. 

Also for the link to the bug information.    Very Much appreciated.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card