cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5540 and memory useage

GregWaite
Level 1
Level 1

I recently noticed that my ASA 5540 has been using up a considerable amount of memory, around 870+ megs.I powered cycled the unit and the memory use went down to around 250 megs (under typical network loads). This is becomming an issue because its effecting the site to site VPNs running through the firewall. Has anyone experenced this memory issue?

PS: Can anyone link me to how 5540 uses memory and/or how to cut down on 5540 memory use? Looks like the only way I can resolve this is by power cycling.

3 Replies 3

sokakkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Greg,

There are two types of memory issues on ASA:

High Memory:  Memory stays high all the time.

Memory Leak: Increase in memory usage with time.

In your case seems to be a memory leak issue as it is not high initially but increasing with passage of time. This could be because of a software bug where some process is depleting all the memory and never freeing it back. To troubleshoot memory leak issues we require multiple outputs over multiple intervals of time, i would suggest you to open a TAC case for this so that we can find out the root cause and get it upgraded to the version which has resolution to the problem we are facing.

Warm Regards,

Sourav Kakkar

sokakkar@cisco.com

Thanks for the response. Unfortunatly I do not have access to your TAC's service. What I may end up doing is just upgrading this to the most recent version in hopes it fixes the problem.

Hi Greg,

As far as memory troubleshooting is concerned final resolution is an upgrade based on bug the present code is hitting, as you said please try to upgrade to latest code available and see if that helps. Here is the link to download the ASA image:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/apps/tblbld/tablebuild.pl/asa

Here is the procedure for upgrade:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a008067e9f9.shtml

I hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Sourav Kakkar

sokakkar@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: