cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM Launcher starts in a small window

KEVIN BUCHANAN
Level 1
Level 1

When I launch the ASDM, whether in JAVA or as an MSI installation, the window starts "too small".  I can't see anything but the minimize and close button.  (see the attached screenshot)

I am running Java v1.4.2_03.  I tried the most current release of Java and it had same results, so I uninstalled it and am back on 1.4.2_03.

...any ideas?

-Kevin

6 Replies 6

henseric1
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?  I am experiencing the same thing and can't figure it out.  ASDM starts in a tiny windows that I can only minimize or close.

Hi Eric,

Kindfly provide the below information:

version of ASDM that you are running

version of ASA software

which OS are you using

Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit OS

This info would be helpful to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

ASDM Launcher Version is 1.5(50)

ASDM Version is 6.3(5)

ASA version 8.3(2)

Windows 7

64-bit

Works fine on other Windows XP and Windows 7 - 32-bit computers I have.

Hi Eric,

It seems to be  ajava compatibility issue, try installing the 32-bit java version on your 64-bit machine, and then try he asdm. One more thing, on the 64-bit, open up a browser and type the url "https:// (you should be able to access the asdm.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

The above answer is the right one

nick.brennan
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a very old post and responding as I had a similar compatibility issue with Win10 and an old ASA so hoping this will help others.

After many attempts at Java versions and config settings I have found the following works perfectly:

Windows version - 21H1 (19043.1288)

Java Version - 1.4.2_19

ASDM - 5.2

Now the important bit is to change the Windows compatability settings - right click the Cisco ASDM Launcher icon and select <properties>, select the <Compatability> tab and in <Compatability mode> select "Windows Vista".

Yep, odd that the Vista compatibility setting works here and was un-expected considering I could not get Windows XP to work yet I have it running on a native WindowsXP laptop perfectly. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card