cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM "this app can't run on your PC" - Windows 10

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

I am getting this error when trying to launch ASDM.   New install of Windows 10 Professional.  I have been running this successfully on other Windows 10 PCs.  Has anyone seen this and know the fix?

153 Replies 153

Thannks! that did it!

You sir are a savior, thank you very much.

Your welcome Dave - hopefully it was a time saver.

P... Cisco c'est de pire en pire... Quelle dégradation depuis quelques années...

Thank you Scott. This help alot.

Hello, 
I did this, but it didn't help. When I run it, nothing happens.

Don't worry about modifying the wscript on windows.
Just change the startup link to run the bat file directly so it says "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM\run.bat"
You can also troubleshoot this by running the Jawaw directly that is listed in the bat file. Maybe your java version is incompatible or you have removed old Java versions. I have this working with JRE1.8.0_45. 

Can you please be more specific ?

Maybe you could provide some details what isn't working for you? It will then be easier to troubleshoot.

1. Try to start "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM\run.bat"  from a command line - any result?
  2. Check task manager (or even better use Process Explorer from Sysinternals). Did you get jawaw.exe running?
  3. What are the versions of your java runtime and ASDM version that you tried
  4. Open control panel and check the JAVA version there. You need the 32-bit version.
  5. I can confirm that ASDM version 7.10(1) works with Java runtime 1.8.0_45
  6. There are a few Java settings that may need to be tweaked. 
  7. If you installed ASDM before Java, I would reinstall ASDM again after the correct Java has been installed.

If you need a different ASDM version, I suggest you go with the above to start with and get something that is confirmed working. You can later upgrade to your preferred ASDM version and see if this breaks your install. 

Note that ASDM has a glitch with using high CPU in some cases. The fix in some cases is to stop ASDM and remove the ".asdm" directory in %USERPROFILE%

Works like a champ !!!

That was great Scott. This help me out a lot!

Thanks!!

oscalvar@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guys!

I had a client with the same issue ; "This app can't run on your PC " When he tried to install the launcher of the ASDM.

Quick solution ;

Check in what folder is the file save and try to move ( uninstall and install again ) to the users folders with quick access. It seems windows save this file in a deep folder and when they try open they system cant found.

Hope this will help you.

Oscar Alvarez

Cisco TAC engineer

Peter Long
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm this is still a problem (Credit to Tod)

Windows 10: Cisco ASDM ‘This app can’t run on your PC’

Regards,

Pete

Had to change the first part of the target to C:\windows\System32\

Works now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card