Views
Helpful
Replies

[AWS] FTDv vs NGFWv

v.caixeta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am confused with what is what. On AWS I want to deploy a FTDv, but on AWS Market its not available, I only have Cisco NGFWv and Cisco FMCv. Is NGFWv and FTDv the same thing? And will I be able to manage the NGFWv using FMCv?

What I want is a Sourcefire IPS on AWS, but I am having trouble to understand how cisco call their security product these days :)

Thanks for the help

Regards,

Vini

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NGFWv is the FTD image in AWS VM form factor. It has the features of the Sourcefire appliances plus stateful firewall features from the ASA lineage.

It can be managed by FMCv - in AWS or remotely or even by physical appliance on-premises.

FTDv is what they call the same thing in ESXi or KVM VM or Azure form factor. You're right it is confusing and inconsistent product naming.

And that's before you consider the NGIPSv - that is the "classic" Firepower/Sourcefire appliance in VM form factor. It's only available for VMware ESXi - not AWS or Azure. 

They can all be managed by FMCv - in AWS or in a remote location (on-prem or off-prem - as long as you have tcp/8305 bidirectional communications) or even by physical appliance on-premises.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NGFWv is the FTD image in AWS VM form factor. It has the features of the Sourcefire appliances plus stateful firewall features from the ASA lineage.

It can be managed by FMCv - in AWS or remotely or even by physical appliance on-premises.

FTDv is what they call the same thing in ESXi or KVM VM or Azure form factor. You're right it is confusing and inconsistent product naming.

And that's before you consider the NGIPSv - that is the "classic" Firepower/Sourcefire appliance in VM form factor. It's only available for VMware ESXi - not AWS or Azure. 

They can all be managed by FMCv - in AWS or in a remote location (on-prem or off-prem - as long as you have tcp/8305 bidirectional communications) or even by physical appliance on-premises.

Thanks a lot Marvin, that's what I needed!

Regards,

Vini

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: