cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up ASA configs, with the Management Interface turned off

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

We had to turn off our managment interface on our ASA 5520.  Is it possible to save the configs by going out one of the other interfaces?  I tried TFTP, FTP and SMB, but always get a "access violation".  I created a file on the server, and gave it chmod 777.   All of my other Cisco devices work fine to this server, but not the ASA.  Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jesse Shumaker
Level 1
Level 1

So you don't have a console cable? Thats the easiest way.

and you don't have SSH or telnet enabled? If you have SSH enabled just login and do a copy run tftp and make sure you have the tftp server running on your workstation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jesse Shumaker
Level 1
Level 1

So you don't have a console cable? Thats the easiest way.

and you don't have SSH or telnet enabled? If you have SSH enabled just login and do a copy run tftp and make sure you have the tftp server running on your workstation.

Of course, just do a "sh run" and copy and paste the output.   It's not elegant, but it works.   Is that what you were implying?

The second method, of copy-run-tftp, always fails, even though I can do it with a hundred other Cisco devices.  The ASA attempts to write e.g. !!!!!!!!!   but then it fails and says "access violation".  Which, according the Internet, is always a message from the server.

However, I have solved my problem, and you have helped immensely.  Five stars it is.

yah that tftp access violation might be on the tftp server side. download tftpd and turn off all security in the options area try it. but yah sh run exactly

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card