cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practice for Security Zones

alex.f.
Level 1
Level 1

A Customer will modernize a small/medium Network with seven FTDs (1120 / 2110) at  1 HQ and 3 Branches.

so I am looking for best practice example for Security Zones form CISCO to pitch my Migration Plan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My best approach Lan side 1 Zone, Outside you can make any zones since the Lan side always is only 1Zone and trusted network. if you have more then you need to create more, but i prefer to make simple so easy to manage the network, rather a complex task for engineers when required to diagnosis the issue.

Inside LAN Zone 

Outside 1  Zone

WAN 2  Zone 

DMZ Zone

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It all depends on how your exiting environment, are you looking exiting to migrate to FTD ?

or you looking to deploy FTD greenfield and migrate ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/621/asa2ftd-migration/asa2ftd-migration-guide-621/asa2ftd_migration_procedure.html

BB

We used the migration tool to import the existing access rules and the basic Configuration but ist created a zone for each interface.

The Customer is not so experienced and need the push in the right direction. Actually we have a Greenfield deployment of the new FTDs running with the old Concept.

My best approach Lan side 1 Zone, Outside you can make any zones since the Lan side always is only 1Zone and trusted network. if you have more then you need to create more, but i prefer to make simple so easy to manage the network, rather a complex task for engineers when required to diagnosis the issue.

Inside LAN Zone 

Outside 1  Zone

WAN 2  Zone 

DMZ Zone

BB

I usually create a zone per. interface and then create a category in the ACP section for each interface. I then place all access rules sourced from that particular interface under that category, so the ACP config will end up looking like en ASA Config. Example:

Category: INSIDE_ZONE

<All rules sourced from the Inside Zone>

Category: OUTSIDE_ZONE

<All rules sourced from the internet>

Best Regards
Nicolai Borchorst
CCIE Security #65775

Security zones are used to segment your network and make it easier to classify traffic.  Usually you would group interfaces that provide similar services.  For example, DMZ1, DMZ2, and DMZ3 could be grouped into a single security zone called DMZ.  Interface facing the internet could be placed in the Outside zone or a zone called Internet.

But it all boils down to what does your security policy dictate, and what are your network needs.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card