cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can asa5550 run without SSM-4GE-INC?

brad.bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

I've inherited an ASA5550 which is missing its SSM-4GE-INC - it was taken out to upgrade a 5540, which is now in production elsewhere in the enterprise.  Trouble is, now the 5550 will not boot, it gets stuck after a panic message, and reboots:

Panic: Init Thread - Module SSM-4GE-INC is not present. Rebooting...

I'm taking this as the unit cannot function without this module installed, so I'm looking for confirmation of this, or alternatively a way around the message I'm getting.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately ASA5550 comes with fixed SSM-4GE card and it can't be removed, hence you are getting that error message.

You would probably need to source that 4GE card back and installed it for it to boot again.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately ASA5550 comes with fixed SSM-4GE card and it can't be removed, hence you are getting that error message.

You would probably need to source that 4GE card back and installed it for it to boot again.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, much appreciated!

Hi Jennifer,

Could we use Cisco ASA 5550 with SSM-4GE instead of SSM-4GE-INC? I see the message:

Total SSMs found: 1

SSM-4GE, SN JAF10490559, HW ver 1.0, FW ver 1.0(0)8

WARNING: Incompatible SSM-4GE module (Cisco 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Module) detected. This configuration is not supported

Thank you.

Why do you ask? Doesn't the message clearly say that it's not compatible?)

Actually, before i saw your post i thought that 5550 uses regular SSM-4GE module.

No, for ASA 5550 you can't use the spare SSM-4GE as it has one that is already included within the appliance and is not supposed to be removed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: