cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can FMC running in vsphere be migrated to AWS?

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

I plan to migrate a FMC running in vsphere to AWS. Initially I plan to: 1. Build the FMC in AWS as brand new; 2. Backup the existing FMC (running v7 already) and then restore the backup in AWS FMC; 3. Login to AWS FMC serial console to change the MGMT IP address.

But after reading the FMC migration guide below, I am not too sure my planned process would work…

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fmc_model_migration/b_FMC_Model_Migration_Guide.html 

It shows Azure is not supported but what about AWS? From the guide, the supported migration path doesn’t seem support FMCv as the target no matter what is the source model…

So if I read the guide correctly, will I have to do policy export and import in order have the configuration migrated? Plus I donot know if the AWS ec2 serial console would work for FMC instance…

22 Replies 22

Thanks Marvin,

Your solution allowed me to migrate FMC 1000 to FMCv. My migration was to FMCv to the same IP address as physical appliance.

High level steps were:
• Deploy new FMCv in virtual environment (mine was Nutanix)
• Provision new FMCv with different IP initially, and perform initial setup, licensing and bring up to the same version and patch level
• On FMCv run "/var/sf/etc/model-info/configure-model.sh" and set it to FMC 1000
• On FMC 1000, perform Management backup and download it to local PC.
• Shut down FMC 1000
• Update FMCv IP address to the IP address previously used by FMC 1000 by using script "/usr/local/sf/bin/configure-network"
• On FMCv I had to edit restore backup script to remove checks causing error "Unable to clear Lights-Out Management user" - detailed workaround in CSCvc05004
• Perform actual restore on FMCv using backup from FMC 1000.
• Revert FMCv model using "/var/sf/etc/model-info/configure-model.sh"

Thing to mention, for Nutanix deployment, it states to use KVM qcow2 disk file, when I was changing model intiall it reported that I was set for OCI, when I finished tasks, I set it to KVM.

Thanks for sharing your experience @AigarsK !

jbates5873
Level 1
Level 1

bit of a grave dig on this,

but we are looking to migrate an ESX on-prem instance to Azure.

Based on this thread, and your experience @m1xed0s (even though you were AWS) how did you go? 

Im thinking we may be able to configure the Azure instance to pretend to match on-prem, restore and re-configre to be azure afterwards. Thoughts?

I basically just "converted" the FMCv for AWS to be FMC 1600 and then used the built-in migration tool with the configuration backup. Then "converted" it back to the FMCv for AWS. I would assume the same could be done for Azure but you might also want to have a plan B prepare in case the method did not work for Azure.

James Petner
Level 1
Level 1

@Marvin Rhoads @m1xed0s  Wondering if either of you have any experience using the 'fool' model method to setup an FMCv HA pair?

For background I'm trying to do the same FMCv on VMware to FMCv on AWS migration this tread is discussing. In my case the Source and Destination FMCv IPs will be different. According to TAC I'm going to have to deregister my FTDs and then re-register them but I'm obviously trying to avoid any downtime, and this would wipe the config in the process, etc... 

I see in this documentation that FMCv HA is now supported across all platforms and I meet all the requirements and guidelines in this doc. including the software versions and rules versions matching on both FMCv's.  However, when I go to setup the HA I get an error message that says the models don't match because one is on VMware and the other AWS. 

Cisco Secure Firewall Management Center Administration Guide, 7.3 - High Availability [Cisco Secure Firewall Management Center] - Cisco 

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated! 

I have not done any virtual FMC HA and frankly I really do not see any needs for that. 

Totally agree that the HA FMCv is overkill in most cases. I'm just looking to use it as a migration tool for right now. Thanks for the feedback. 

The only FMC HA deployments I have encountered have been hardware-based. I've not migrated any to cloud, HA or otherwise.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card