cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Open ASDM in Mountain Lion

calvin.ly
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to launch ASDM 6.4(5) for the first time to access our company's firewall, but I can't launch it. My manager has no problem, but he's on 10.7 and Java 6. I'm on Java 7. When I Run ASDM, a Java 7 splash screen pops up and never goes away. So I downgraded to JAVA 6 and still can't open it. When I Run ASDM, nothing happens this time. It asks me to trust the certificate, but after I click Trust is when nothing happens.

I've looked through Google quite a bit for answers but nothing seems to be helping. This is my first run at using ASDM so I'm not sure what's going on.

Help please!

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Java 7 definitely breaks ASDM - even on Windows.

Dis you completely uninstall your Java 7 or just add Java 6? The former is the best way.

Dave Phillips
Level 1
Level 1

I have had weird experiences too with Java 7, one work around I found was launching the "run setup wizard" link instead of ASDM.  It would launch the ASDM and then the setup wizard which I would just close.

I evetually went back to Java 6 and have had no more problems..

jocamare
Level 4
Level 4

Try to use the latest version of ASDM and its launcher, it works with Java 7. [most of the time]

calvin.ly
Level 1
Level 1

So this was weird, after I completely uninstalled Java I tried looking for a Java 6 update 43 version to install but couldn't find one anywhere. I somehow found update 29 though. After I downloaded it, I wasn't allowed to install it because apparently it said I had a more updated version of Java. I checked and it said Java 6.43.

So I download Pacifist to allow me to extract and install 6.29. I was then able to launch it successfully from the browser and now I can open the application fine. I'm wondering if it will work fine with 6.43 now. Anyone by chance know where I can find it? I can no longer find it. I'd like to try that and if it doesn't work just go back to 6.29.

You can use Java7 with the latest version of ASDM. So it won't be necessary to keep downgrading it.

I've not had success with Java 7 launching the latest ASDM 7.1(1.52) - either from ASDM launcher or Java web start application, The usual inscrutable Java security errors.

The same client launches ASDM fine on the same target ASAs when Java 7 is uninstalled and replaced with Java 6.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card