Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5505 and 5510 DHCP limitations

Aleksei.Zjabkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our company is planning to buy one of cisco ASA 55xx series.

But there is still one question left about DHCP pool limitations.

Here I found some information about licensing for DHCP on ASA 5505:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/basic_dhcp.html#wp1125251

In other words, we don't have any information about ASA 5510, which contains DCHP pool licensing.

Please give some information,

Regards,

Aleksei

9 Replies 9

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

For a 10-user license, the max. DHCP clients is 32. For 50 users, the max. is 128. For unlimited users, the max. is 250, which is the max. for other models.

There are two base and security plus license in base only 10 users and plus you can opt upto unlimited.

Base > 10 users

Security plus > 50 or unlimited

Am I right?

I so, then how can I choose between 50 and unlimited?

Thats optional

50/unlimited.

I don't understand why there are 128 addresses for 50 host. What this is actually means?

Does it mean, that from these 128 addresses 50 host can have access to the internet?

Aleksei

Thats correct at a time 50 host.

One last question.

I need unlimited DHCP license. I buy Security Plus license for my ASA 5505.

In Security Plus I can choose between 50 hosts and "unlimited" number of hosts through IOS.

Right?

And unlimited means that all 250 hosts can have access to the internet at a time.

Right?

Thank You!

Aleksei

Thats correct.

Just to add that limitaion will be for DHCP but no limit for users they can use static IP.

If I have 3 vlans, how many pools I can create?

250 addresses per pool?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card