cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5505 running 8.2(1)

networker99
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco ASA running 8.2(1).  It appears to be crashing around once a week, and a restart resolves everytime.  When the unit crashes it is not being configured, etc.. it is just performing its usual function (firewall).  I am not onsite with the device and therefore have no access to it when it crashes.  I have read though some of the fixes in 8.2(2) and it appears as there were quite a few memory leak issues that were resolved.. to mean a memory leak of some kind seems plausable as the device just stops around every week or so..

Just wanted to see if anyone thinks my theory with the memory leak seems likely, or if anyone has had similar experiences?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We never traced it down definitively but as you noted there are many bug fixes in the latest release(s). Since we were running an older release and had the upgrade eligibility through Smartnet, we just went ahead and did that in lieu of opening a case and chasing the root cause.

In many cases, the TAC will recommend upgrading to the latest stable release as part of the problem isolation just for that reason. Unless you already have 512 MB on your 5505 (and can thus upgrade to 8.4(3)), 8.2(5) would be the latest.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had seen similar issues when running 8.0(2). Upgrade to 8.2(5) cleared everything up.

Thanks Marvin, was it memory leaks?

We never traced it down definitively but as you noted there are many bug fixes in the latest release(s). Since we were running an older release and had the upgrade eligibility through Smartnet, we just went ahead and did that in lieu of opening a case and chasing the root cause.

In many cases, the TAC will recommend upgrading to the latest stable release as part of the problem isolation just for that reason. Unless you already have 512 MB on your 5505 (and can thus upgrade to 8.4(3)), 8.2(5) would be the latest.

Thanks, I am also noticing a number of  FSCK0002.REC files in flash, do you think it could be a corrupt flash?

Well I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple .rec (recover) files if the box is reloading without having properly shut down.

I'd say that's most likely a side effect of the crashes and not an indicator of a corrupt compact flash card.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card