cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5510 config with SSM

kmacdonald
Level 1
Level 1

I've been tasked to replace our old sonicwall tz170 firewall with an ASA 5510 and configure it (which I've never done, only routers and switches) and I have a few questions.  I'm inside the ASDM and I'm trying to setup my outside interface...  The 5510 came with an SSM card, and I assumed this would be my outside interface, but I'm guessing I'm wrong since it isn't an option when running through the wizard.  I know what the SSM card is for, I just don't understand why it isn't an outside interface.  Where does this connect (just to my LAN??)?

Currently I set up the management interface to our ip and subnet and am connected through that.  I see the management interface and eth0 - eth 3.

This is as simple as it can get, I just need the outside interface to be our public ip, setup the access rules to match my sonicwall.

Also on the version, its running ASA 8.2.1.  Should I upgrade to 8.3.1?  What is the ED after the version (not familiar with it).

Thanks!

16 Replies 16

I got it fixed!  I had the nat for it going   (inside,inside) instead of (inside,outside).  

I do have another quick question about the SSM card though.  Does the port have to be on the network for it to work?  I know to manage it I have to connect to it and give it an IP address, but does it have to be on the network in order to filter, scan, etc.. ?

Thank you for everything!

I'm glad you got it working.

You do need it to connect to the network for management purposes as it is managed through asdm and asdm will need to be able to reach the IP address assigned to the CSC's management port and also to ensure that it can connect to the Internet to pull real time updates.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card