Replies

Cisco ASA 5510 + licence + AIP-SSM

VictorCL59
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have this box.

I have few questions about it.

1)     Will I be able to update firmware (from 8.2 to 8.3 or higher for example) without smarnet for ASA 5510? And what can not I do without smartnet?

2)     I have only AIP-SSM-10 module to this asa 5510. is there a smartnet for it, too? And when I buy only module is there build in a 1 year subscription for  IPS signatures?

3)     If I have Cisco ASA 5510 base license, will my IPS on AIP-SSM-10 work?

4)     Also I'm planning in a year buy one more 5510 with same module and put ther in failover. Will I realy need Security Plus licence for failover (Active/Standby)? For Active/Active I know that I need one, yes?

Please help me.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) You would need Smartnet to be able to download software from cisco.com download site.

2) Yes, there is also smartnet for the AIP module.AIP module doesn't come with 1 year subscription but you can request for demo license.

3) Yes, base license is OK for the AIP module.

4) Yes, you would need Security Plus license on both ASA to be able to run any type of failover on ASA5510.

Hope that answers your questions.

View solution in original post

Hi Victor,

Yes, you are absolutely correct in regards to the Cisco Services for IPS, it provies all that you have mentioned above. And yes, it is for 1 year.

Cheers, no problem.

Pls kindly mark your post as answered so others can learn from it. Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) You would need Smartnet to be able to download software from cisco.com download site.

2) Yes, there is also smartnet for the AIP module.AIP module doesn't come with 1 year subscription but you can request for demo license.

3) Yes, base license is OK for the AIP module.

4) Yes, you would need Security Plus license on both ASA to be able to run any type of failover on ASA5510.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks.

Your answers are ones I was looking for.

about the second question.

I have read that I need a smartnet for AIP-SSM to have ability to get regular update of signature for IPS and its operation system.

For my situation, I found, it is - CON-SU1-ASIP10K9.

It is not a smartnet but something other "Cisco Services for IPS" which provides updates and upgrades to Cisco IOS software, Intrusion  Protection Signature updates, 24 x 7 x 365 access to TAC, and, subject  to fault identification by Cisco, replacement hardware delivered by the  next business day.

And this CON-SU1-ASIP10K9 is only given for one year, isn't it?

Is it all right about all I have written?

Hi Victor,

Yes, you are absolutely correct in regards to the Cisco Services for IPS, it provies all that you have mentioned above. And yes, it is for 1 year.

Oh... Yes.

Thanks again.

Cheers, no problem.

Pls kindly mark your post as answered so others can learn from it. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card