Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5540 upgrade

PiEich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have 3 ASA 5540 with this IOS:

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(5)

Device Manager Version 6.3(5)

System image file is "disk0:/asa805-k8.bin"

Hardware:   ASA5540, 2048 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 4 2000 MHz

Internal ATA Compact Flash, 256MB

I want to upgrade to the latest version progressively, IOS and ASDM.

What would be your advise as the proper steps?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Got it. I upgraded from 8.2 --> 8.4 -> 9.1.2 with no issues. But from 8.0, check the below thread. This might help...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2222310

hth

MS

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If these units are stand alone units (not in failover mode), then you can directly upgrade to 9.1.2 and then to 9.1.3 (if I remember correct, this is latest IOS).

In general, you can directly go to latest IOS for stand alone units (this case  9.1.3) but I read in one of the other posting that there is a bug that might cause an issue.

If the units are in failover mode, then you may need to go with 8.2 --> 8.3-->9.x

Please not that there are NAT statement syntax changes from 8.3 on. Please read the documentation. Based on the o/p posted, ASA got enough memory for 8.3 and up (2Meg).

hth

MS

PiEich
Level 1
Level 1

Yup, I heard about this NAT statements changes and that's why I was asking what the best steps would be. I don't think I can go straight to the latest, even if not a failover couple...

Got it. I upgraded from 8.2 --> 8.4 -> 9.1.2 with no issues. But from 8.0, check the below thread. This might help...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2222310

hth

MS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card