cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5585 to Firepower 4140

clpaul
Level 1
Level 1

Can I export the rules from the 5585 and import them to the 4140 or do I need to make changes to the existing rules?  Thank!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aaron.hackney
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

If your FP 4140 is running ASA software, you can copy the rules directly and they will just work. Note that there may be some interface naming that is different. Other than that, most of your configuration will transfer over just fine.

If you are running FTD software, you will need to either manually recreate your ruleset on the FTD box using FDM or using FMC. Cisco just released this tool to do this migration for you. This tool will migrate your ASA configuration to FTD. I believe this requires an FMC and will not work with FDM only at this time.

Screenshot 2018-07-24 07.59.58.png

If this was helpful, please upvote and marked solved. Thanks!

-A

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

aaron.hackney
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

If your FP 4140 is running ASA software, you can copy the rules directly and they will just work. Note that there may be some interface naming that is different. Other than that, most of your configuration will transfer over just fine.

If you are running FTD software, you will need to either manually recreate your ruleset on the FTD box using FDM or using FMC. Cisco just released this tool to do this migration for you. This tool will migrate your ASA configuration to FTD. I believe this requires an FMC and will not work with FDM only at this time.

Screenshot 2018-07-24 07.59.58.png

If this was helpful, please upvote and marked solved. Thanks!

-A

cspaugh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

clpual,

so that I am clear your looking to migrate from the ASA 5585 to FTD on a Firepower 4140? And your asking if the Migration Tool will copy all your rules over or if you need to take something into account with regards to modifying rules etc before the migration?  here are some possible useful resources around the Migration Tool. The Migration guide and Release notes.  I am not the expert but I can try to find one to help answer further questions if needed. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card