cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA as VXLAN bridge?

handsy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm exploring VXLANs for the first time and have found out that my ASA5555-X firewalls do support it. They're running 9.8(3) code.

My use case is better explained using diagrams. The first one is how things look now:

vxlanbefore.png

Today, the servers are in different subnets and are routed between 2 ASA firewalls so they can chat to each other.

What I want to do is get the servers in the same subnet and I think I can use VXLAN to achieve that. Here's what I want it to look like:

vxlanafter.png

I'm not sure how to configure this. I *think* I need to create VTEP interfaces on the server ports, and both 0/0 and 1/0 on both ASA firewalls?

I'm sure this is really simple and basic but the Cisco articles don't have this as an example for me to use.

Any help appreciated :)

6 Replies 6

handsy
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Sorry. In my experience very very few customers use VXLAN on their ASAs - I've never seen one outside a lab environment. Those who do typically are working directly with Cisco Advanced Services or have significant in house engineering resources and not hanging out on the general support community.

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

This looks interesting. I am actually going to lab this out to see how it works.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

Thanks Alan Ng'ethe, that would be super helpful.

I love the fact that the VXLAN (VTEP) interface does not have to be a dedicated physical port, i.e. it can be shared with normal firewall services! See attached below:

vxlan-vtep.png

Caleb Stucki
Level 1
Level 1

Handsy, I just configured an extended L2 network via 2 Firepower 2140 ASAs similar to what you are asking. It does work.

ASA ports to the Servers can just be sub-interfaced and set for vlan traffic.

VTEP only needs to be on the ASA ports connecting to the L3 network.

It's kind of like a GRE tunnel where you just tell it is a VTEP and tell it it's VTEP peer on the other side of the L3 network. As long as those physical interfaces can ping each other, they can establish VTEP mapping.

Can you give us configuration for this ASA

THk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card