Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA Etherchannel to Cisco 3750X switch stack

CSCO10675262_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a setup whereby I have a pair of ASA setup for Active-Standby. As I understand that ASA connection to cross switch stack is not supported. I would like to check if may be supported on connection to the same switch on a stack switch. Example:

a. ASA 1 connect to switch 1 of the stacked switch

b. ASA 2 connect to switch 2 of the stacked switch

c. The connection are connected using etherchannel lacp

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This would not be supported.

Refer:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/interface_start.html#pgfId-1329030

The ASA does not support connecting an EtherChannel to a switch stack. If the ASA EtherChannel is connected cross stack, and if the Master switch is powered down, then the EtherChannel connected to the remaining switch will not come up.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This would not be supported.

Refer:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/interface_start.html#pgfId-1329030

The ASA does not support connecting an EtherChannel to a switch stack. If the ASA EtherChannel is connected cross stack, and if the Master switch is powered down, then the EtherChannel connected to the remaining switch will not come up.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Hi,

Appreciate for the information. The statement is very confusing and misleading as it seems to indicate clearly it is not supported for cross stack however it does not indicate clearly for connecting like normal switch however it is stacked.

Thanks.

Hi Vibhor,

If I have a active/standby scenario, where I have a primary with a 2 interface channel to the master and the standby has a 2 interface channel to a single slave switch. Would it work this way? 

Regards,

Rod

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card