Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA Failover issue

lordazmodan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

First of all, sorry for my poor english.

Let's see  if anyone can help me out in this one:

I´ve recently configured two Cisco ASA´s 5510 in a failover configuration, I´ve tested everything on my desk connecting the ASA´s trought a HP Switch with no VLAN´s configured, it worked pretty fine.

Later on I´ve depployed the firewalls to the datacenters, connecting them trought a 3COM 4800G Switch, the datacenters are interconnect by FO and it´s basically the same LAN. The 3COM 4800G Switch is configured in a stack, so for the firewalls is like to be connected to the same switch. Unique difference here is that the vlans is set accordingly to the needs.

All interfaces works well, however only the failover interface didn´t... I´ve tried to figure out but wasn´t unable to continue  right now and stayed in doubt about the failover limitations.

After checking out the Cisco documentation I´ve seen that only for serial connection in PIX, there is a distance limitation. In my depployment the firewalls are split from each other for like half mile.

Anyone has any idea why only the failover interface isn´t working well?

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Ajay Saini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You did not mention if you were able to ping across the failover link between the firewalls.

Anyways, please check the following portion from the configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/ha_overview.html#wp1091647

For optimum performance when using long distance  LAN failover, the latency for the failover link should be less than 10  milliseconds and no more than 250 milliseconds. If latency is more  than10 milliseconds, some performance degradation occurs due to  retransmission of failover messages.

-

HTH

AJ

Hello Ajay,

I´ve managed to figure out what it was causing a failover disruption. The 3COM switch had his port configured as trunk with untagging in the proper vlan, however wasn´t working properly until I changed the port link type to ACCESS in the same vlan.

Since them the ASA´s were able to find each other and exchange failover info.

Thanks for the support!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card