Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA Firewall - Factory Reset Remotely

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

I have Cisco ASA 5506 up & running.

I have SSH access & I want to remotely erase all the configurations & set it to Factory default.

What commands I need to use to do remote factory reset of the Cisco ASA from SSH ?

Please let me know

8 Replies 8

@RS19 

You will lose remote connectivity though!!!

You can use the "write erase" command or "configure factory-default".

More information here - https://networklessons.com/cisco/asa-firewall/cisco-asa-erase-configuration

I suggest being on site to erase the configuration and re-configuring.

Thanks.

I cant bring it on site.

After write erase command, for rebooting the device should I use reload command or any other command to reboot the device so that the device becomes factory rest.

I am ok to loose the remote connectivity. 

Yes you'd need to use the "reload" command after "write erase"....but then how do plan to configure remotely if you cannot connect to it?

What exactly is the issue with the ASA that requires resetting, why not remove the configuration that you no longer need?

I am going to decomission the device. So I want to do factory reset.

@RS19 Ah ok, that makes sense. I just didn't want you to reset the configuration and lose connectivity.

Perhaps also delete the contents of the flash, which may have old configuration backups.

Thanks

Could you please let me know how to check the flash & remove the configurations stored in flash ?

@RS19 

Use the command "dir" show the contents of flash

Then use "delete flash:/filename" where filename is the name of the file you wish to delete.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card