Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE restore backup

mikiNet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys!

I have a question about Cisco ISE restore from backup file. I don't understand the option "include ADE-OS". In documentation I found: 

Option: include-adeos

Description: (Optional, applicable only for configuration backup) Enter this command operator parameter if you want to restore ADE-OS configuration from a configuration backup. When you restore a configuration backup, if you do not include this parameter, Cisco ISE restores only the Cisco ISE application configuration data.

What does it mean ? What is application configuration data? What Cisco ISE restore with and without this option?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

demason
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi beejrteek,

ADE-OS stands for Application Deployment Engine Operating System. This is the operating system on which ISE runs, which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). When restoring ADE-OS you would be restoring OS level configuration. This would include all of the operating system configuration data that is configured when setting up the ISE node. Things like hostname, IP addresses, NTP, enabling SSH, default gateway, and name servers.

Restoring the ADE-OS configuration would be used if you want an exact duplicate of the ISE server the backup was taken from. However, this can cause issues if these servers exist on the same network at the same time for obvious reasons. If you want to stand up a new ISE server with the same configuration but with a different IP and hostname, it is not recommended to restore the ADE-OS configuration.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

demason
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi beejrteek,

ADE-OS stands for Application Deployment Engine Operating System. This is the operating system on which ISE runs, which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). When restoring ADE-OS you would be restoring OS level configuration. This would include all of the operating system configuration data that is configured when setting up the ISE node. Things like hostname, IP addresses, NTP, enabling SSH, default gateway, and name servers.

Restoring the ADE-OS configuration would be used if you want an exact duplicate of the ISE server the backup was taken from. However, this can cause issues if these servers exist on the same network at the same time for obvious reasons. If you want to stand up a new ISE server with the same configuration but with a different IP and hostname, it is not recommended to restore the ADE-OS configuration.

I hope that helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card