cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco PIX 515e Problem

jai.solanki
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with our Cisco PIX 515e Firewall, in terms of allowing access to windows updates outside our domain. Here is the scenario:

All the PCs have access to the Internet, but none of them can access the windows updates site to download updates. Everytime we try to install the Windows Updates we keep getting an error.

Before I introduced the Cisco Firewall we did not have this issue.

Could you anyone please advise on what is the best way to troubleshoot this and what configurations do I need to do on the firewall to ensure that this works. I am new to firewalls so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The easiest way to start troubleshooting would be to confirm that your interface ACLs dont block any traffic from these hosts that are trying to update.

You can either check the ACL configurations or perhaps use the graphical user interface of the PIX to monitor the logs while attempting the updates and see if any traffic is dropped.

I am not sure if I have ever run into this kind of problem and I only use Cisco firewalls (PIX, FWSM and ASA firewalls)

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card