cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoView ver 5.4 on RWAN ver 1.2 takes over 5 mins to load

frank.al.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed Cisco View on a W2K machine. I removed all versions of Java on my client device and installed the version of Java provided by CD One 5th edition.

Cisco View takes appx 5 mins or more to load to the V5.4 title page.

The patch on the Cisco Web site is for Cisco View V5.3. Is there a patch pending for this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You answererd your question yourself above :-)

The problem appears to with your Proxy settings in the web browser as you just mentioned above. When you access CV from the Server directly, it works just fine. I believe that once you use the same Proxy settings on other client PCs (only if you get the same problems), it should fix this issue for those as well.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

There is no such patch for CV 5.4. Are you accessing CV 5.4 from the CW2K Server itself or from a Remote PC?. What is the Web Browser version?. Do you get the same results with Netscape?

I am accessing the server from a remote PC with the Java client provided by CD One 5th edition. The Web Browser is IE6.0. SP1 I don't have Netscape loaded on the remote PC.

OK, if it's possible, try to access CV from the Server itself. This will help narrow down the problem with the Remote PC or the Server itself. Trying with Netscape would also narrow down whether it's browser specific issue or else.

Secondly, if you have any Anti-Virus Checker/Scanner installed on your Remote PC, try disabling it for time being and then connect to CV again. This is documneted in the Release Notes of CV.

CSCdt22462:

Delay when downloading Java applets on Win2K.

Details:

On some Windows 2000 systems, the initial download of large Java applets (or subsequent downloads of the same applets that are not cached locally) might take longer than expected (up to six minutes in some instances). After the applet has been loaded and cached locally, the problem no longer occurs. The delay is caused by client side filtering mechanisms such as virus scanning. Some virus scanners are configured to automatically scan content downloaded by browsers. Scanning consumes a lot of memory and results in disk paging on most systems. Because of this, downloading is significantly slower than expected. (The effect is less on systems with large amounts of RAM and virtual memory.)

To work around this problem, disable the automatic scanning of all

downloaded files, and instead enable the scanning of program files only (specified by file extension). Exact instructions vary depending on the virus scanner installed on your system.

Excellent, excellent suggestions. I did not want to load Netscape on my client machine, but I did attempt to run Cisco View 5.4 from the server running CD One 5th Edition. I was able to run the Cisco View immediately from the server.

I then disabled the Virus Scan software on my client machine, as suggested, and cleared the Java and Browser cache for those apps.

The problem remained.

I decided to look at the Java Console settings and saw that it is configured to use the settings on the browser. I have a proxy setting for web page lookups with Proxy Overrides for several local web pages. This is verified to reside in both the Java Console window and the Browser Connection Settings.

I included the CW2K server's domain name in the Proxy Overrides and saw an immediate response.

I then cleared the cache for the Java Console and the IE 6.0 SP1 browser. I restarted the client machine and made a new attempt to log in to the CW2K server and access Cisco View 5.4

Success!!

I am working this case and another case back and forth this evening so there was delay in my response.

I thank you for your assistance in this issue rmushtaq!

I have not yet duplicated this issue on another machine, or removed the Proxy override settings in the browser to check if the problem returns.

If you believe this should be done to verify the fix please respond and I will do so.

Take Care.

You answererd your question yourself above :-)

The problem appears to with your Proxy settings in the web browser as you just mentioned above. When you access CV from the Server directly, it works just fine. I believe that once you use the same Proxy settings on other client PCs (only if you get the same problems), it should fix this issue for those as well.

I can truthfully say you motivated me to dig deeper to resolve the issue.

Thanks again!! =o)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: