cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks is dog slow on W2K

dagyb
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have the problem of Ciscoworks being dog slow on W2k?

Is there any cure, I have 1gig of ram and it's on it's own server, do you just have to live with it?

Bill

9 Replies 9

simonthompson
Level 1
Level 1

Are you accessing the server from a local client? If so, what IP address are you using? I have noticed that if I use the server's IP address, all traffic first goes to the default gateway and then back to the client on the server. Try using the default loopback address (127.0.0.1) as a test. This does make it a lot quicker.

Simon

You lost me somewhere, the server and the client (my PC) are on the same subnet same switch, so we're not using the gateway for communications, as far as the loopback goes I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks

Bill

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

- Are you accessing the CW2K server locally or from a remote client?

- Version of CW2K?

- Are you using the name or the ip address to access CW2K, meaning http://:1741 OR http://:1741 ?

I am running CW2K (CD 5 V1 and RME 3.4)on a Win2k server with 2gig ram, 2X1gig Intel processors and 203gig of DASD and I am STILL slow. I access the Server from the same subnet that the server is on via Cat6509 switch. When I run reports agains the server via Concord, the server is consistantly paging and CPU consistantly spike above 50% (combined) and I see upwards of 4k page-faults. Finally, this server is always using between 1.5 and 2gig RAM Conclusion? This is the nature of the beast when you run it on and Windows platform. Check out Solaris for significant performance increases.

JOHN thanks.

That was the info I was hoping to get; I was thinking of throwing more ram at it but from what you said I guess that would be a waste of time and money.

Bill

I'm using the IP adress http://x.x.x.x 1741 from a remote client on the the same subnet.

Thanks

Bill

wsitu
Level 1
Level 1

Your sever has plenty of power to run cw2k. It's odd that you mentioned memory was constantly over 1.5g, and cpu utilization is very high. cw2k is a memory beast, and uses approximately 365mb ram is to boot up. check out what other processes are using up your ram. your cpu should be pretty flat if you are not in the middle of discovery. if you are using IE, apply all windows and IE updates. DO NOT install more than 2g of ram. Campus has problems with more than 2g of ram being installed.

jsalminen
Level 1
Level 1

I just wanted to add that a large majority of the cw2000 is written in java and java on Windows is a relative best effort for functionality and performance. Hopefully this recent settlement will have MS implement modern java code into Windows.

BTW, I have CW2000 on a 3x 700mhz PIII Xeon, 2GB RAM, and a very large disk R5 array (shares the system with HPOV 6.2). Runs fine for me at the moment.

Thanks for the info, I have found that if I reboot on a weekly basis it helps it to run a little better.

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card