Views
Helpful
Replies

Clock-Signal Repair Pictures ISR4300, ASA, ISR4400

Bernhard Roth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We have many devices affected by the clock-signal issues.

Cisco does replace the units with repaired/fixed ones.

I have received some ISR4321 routers with the fix applied (pictures attached).

The Cisco provided fix is of - well - mediocre quality (loose solder joints etc..) but works.

I am an EE engineer and am able to fix other routers of my customers as well (attached a picture of one of my fixes).

Spot the difference :)

Is there anyone which has received fixed ASA5506, ASA5508 and ISR4331 routers?

Please post pictures of your fix (hi-res if possible)

I ask because I would like to fix them as well (some of my customers) and avoid configuration, license etc. migration.

I am aware that I might void Ciscos warranty by this act of evil :)

Best regards,

Bernhard

85 Replies 85

Thank you!

The fix consists in adding a resistor to the mainboard - yes.

But is is not as simple as the solder pads are very small and any error in soldering or with missing ESD countermeasures will probably cause the device to die.

Having said that, please find attached a picture of 4331 router fix.

The resistor is 150 Ohms with 1% tolerance.

Is is located on the bottom side of the board.

You will have to disassemble almost the complete router.

The quality of that original Cisco fix is MUCH better, their staff seem to get some practice

I have not yet had a fixed 4351 on my bench for documentation :)

I have 2 - 4331 routers, that "are affected", that have been in service for 2.5 years without issue. Would you recommend fixing them before they fail, or leaving them in service and see IF they fail?

If they are "affected" they will break at any time, maybe soon, maybe later.

It may happen that the degradation inside the CPU is already severe and fixing will not avoid it to fail.

If the routers are not covered with SmartNet and not eligible for Clock-Signal Replacement, I would definitely try a fix. 

Don't forget to make a backup of your licenses (UDI S/N) 

Hello!

I really need this for asa 5506-X 

Does anyone already fixed this on asa?

Does anyone have pictures and procedures of a fixed 5506X? I would really appreciate it. I have a lab asa that just died...

Howdy!

Did you ever get any solution/fix for the bricked 5506? Presuming it's the Atom C2508, is there a replacement BGA that can be used?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul, 

if you can get the replacement BGA CPU, if you have the appropriate soldering tools (hot air, pre-heat plate etc.), well, you can try to do it and replace the CPU.

Chances are low to get all balls properly soldered.

Honestly: Buy a new ASA or send the non-working unit to Cisco for exchange.

Hint: If your ASA has no service contract, buy a 1 year contract and let Cisco exchange the unit after 30 days.

Best regards,

Bernhard

Thanks for the reply. I actually have done lots of electronics repair and have a BGA rework machine.

Bigger question is the C2508. Are the newer Atoms pin for pin replacement for the older version.

Ideally would be great to get Cisco to say how they are fixing the v1-3 units as realistically no way they are just replacing them all. However, the Atom C2508 (presumably later stepping) aren't cheap, so need some kind of validation that can swap the BGA.

Please let it be.

Cisco will not tell you ANYTHING.

You can buy SmartNet and let them replace the unit. It's simple as that.

You are not supposed to fix your own equipment and Cisco will certainly not assist.

Well, would definitely do that, but not sure if you bought a Smartnet then made a claim for an RMA they would honor it?

Yes, they do. Period.

BTW: This is what Ciscos "clock signal team" is telling in their email if the unit S/N is not eligible for free replacement.

Ok, will pick up a Smartnet then for sure.

Good choice :)

You can check if the S/N is still unclaimed in the "Cisco Device Coverage Checker"

Is this what I need: CON-SNT-ASA5506K ?

I can't tell you exactly. I always ask my Cisco sales rep and he tells me the correct product number.

Usually SmartNet 8x5xNBD SW+HW service is sufficient.

But I have unfortunately no informations about the correct part number of the service.

Anyhow: Having SmartNet allows you not only to RMA your unit but you can always get the newest firmware, IOS, ASDM and FirePOWER Software for your Firewall. It is really worth the cost.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card