Views
Helpful
Replies

Clock-Signal Repair Pictures ISR4300, ASA, ISR4400

Bernhard Roth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We have many devices affected by the clock-signal issues.

Cisco does replace the units with repaired/fixed ones.

I have received some ISR4321 routers with the fix applied (pictures attached).

The Cisco provided fix is of - well - mediocre quality (loose solder joints etc..) but works.

I am an EE engineer and am able to fix other routers of my customers as well (attached a picture of one of my fixes).

Spot the difference :)

Is there anyone which has received fixed ASA5506, ASA5508 and ISR4331 routers?

Please post pictures of your fix (hi-res if possible)

I ask because I would like to fix them as well (some of my customers) and avoid configuration, license etc. migration.

I am aware that I might void Ciscos warranty by this act of evil :)

Best regards,

Bernhard

85 Replies 85

If the firewall is already broken, there is no chance to fix it.

The CPU is physically damaged internally and cannot be fixed.

Only when the firewall is still working, applying the fix will prevent the CPU to get bad.

Sorry, the only chance you might have is to send the unit back to Cisco for replacement.

@Bernhard Roth wrote:

If the firewall is already broken, there is no chance to fix it.

The CPU is physically damaged internally and cannot be fixed.

Only when the firewall is still working, applying the fix will prevent the CPU to get bad.

Sorry, the only chance you might have is to send the unit back to Cisco for replacement.

I had a bricked ASA 5506 that was not booting at all & had the amber status flash of death.  With out a service contract or any other way to get warranty I gave Bernhard Roth's fix a try.  It worked!  Boots now.  Not too say it will work for everyone, but it did for me.  Robbed a 150 ohm SMD resistor off a junk motherboard & soldered in as Bernhard pic's show.  agent1533, no pulling any components-spot for a R182 is empty & that is where to solder one leg of the 150 ohm resistor.  Other leg solder to R850.  THANKS BERNHARD!!

Howdy! I have been getting mixed messages, are you saying you installed the resistor (150ohm smd) across the two points (Roth) and it went from the dreaded flashing orange to actually booting? Would be very interested to know if this actually fixed the unit or it just kept a known good running unit from failing?

Thanks!

Agent1533, my ASA was a brick. Would not get any boot information displayed on the console port prior to the fix & amber status light only flashed amber. After installing the 150 ohm resistor as instructed ASA boots & is working. In my instance my CPU was not permanently damaged. You will need some steady hands & know what you are doing to solder that resistor in across those two points. Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information on how to repair the ASA5506X and ISR4321! I have successfully repaired one of each to a working condition. On my workbench I now have an ASA5508X V01, but as I can see the mainboard (see attached picture) differs from the ASA5506X. Does anyone have any information on how to patch the board I have at hand?

Thanks in advance!

Did anyone ever get photos/repairs on 5508?

Bernard,

Did you ever get anything on the 5508 clock fix? I have one of these that's still working but would like to ensure against failure (it's a lab box) if possible. Just wondering if you had ever gotten one back or noted pinouts on the crossover?

Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation with an ASA 5508 (but mine is bricked).  I haven't seen a fix for this yet, but R182 is unpopulated just like in the 5506, so likely it will connect to SERIRQ  (the traces are really hard to follow).  I assume that the other side (R850 on the processor side) provides the 3.3V for the necessary pullup.  I'm going to try to fix it and will post pictures if successful.

I recently purchased an ASA5508x that had been fixed by a Cisco tech.  Attached is a picture of the modification.

asa5508-fix.jpg

Thank you for the picture! Is there anything under the pink glue or it's just to keep the black cable in place? Did you manage to bring your other bricked 5508 back to life?

I believe that the glue is just keep the cable in place. The fix should be just to add a pull up resister so a wire and a resister should be all that is needed.

I haven’t had a chance to work on my bricked one, but I’ll try to get to it this weekend. I’ll post with a status after I work on it though!

I just tried that trick on a completely dead 5508 (no lights at all)

Unfortunately, the result was to restore the orange flashing light of death, but no other function :-(

Thank you so much ! i just fixed my ASA5506 with 100+47 Ohms resistors (found in my electronics drawer) combined in series and some coated copperwire for the soldering pads. Bernhard Roth you are definitly my hero  !

unknown.png

unknown2.png

I bought 5506-X from a electric retail shop than after 6 months cisco announced the clocking issue with 5506 and many other products. i went to the electric retails shop they said i have pass the 30 days return good no they cant help me.

email cisco they did came back and said the windows for 5506-x to died is 2 year or 1 year i dont remeber now.  but they ask me to fill a form to get a replacement and guess what i never provided a replacement of the firewall. eventually firewall passed away 5 month ago.

as i never had a service contract with cisco and the firewall i bought was for lab puropose and general use to get hand of firepower.

please do not forget to rate.

Beau Clark
Level 1
Level 1

First, Awesome post!

That having been said, is the fix simply soldering 2 wires onto a motherboard? I have some 4331 and 4351 routers that are affected, according to the serial number check page:

http://serialnumbervalidation.com/64253/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Should I pop them open and solder a couple wires inside? Is the fix for the 4331 and 4351 exactly the same? Do you have any more pictures you could share? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card