cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Config migration from ASA5540 to an ASA5545-X?

Just a quick question that I want to confirm.

Customer has a ASA5540 at their main location and need a new ASA5500 for a DR site.

Can I simply take a config file from an ASA5540 and easily drop it on an ASA5545-X or what ever?

They are going to be using it as a VPN concentrator primarily.

Or are there going to be issues since the 5540 is running 8.4(5) and the 5545-X?

Or if they upgrade to 9,0(1) or higher, then they should be the same?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

lcambron
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

The syntax is the same after version 8.3, so 8.4.5 and 8.6 + are compatible.

The interfaces are GE for both ASAs so this won't be an issue.

I would just try to do it by sections so I'll notice if I get an error for any of the lines.

Regards,

Felipe.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard,

Felipe is correct regarding the syntax compatibility. 5500-X models will most likely be shipped with 8.6. (A couple I unboxed in the last two months had that.) 8.6 releases were specific to -X series (8.5 for ASA services module and 8.4 for classic 5500 series).

Personally I like standardization and would just put them all on 9.0(1) software - even though it's not a requirement for interoperability and configuration compatibility. 9.1 adds no features or bug fixes to the base system - only adds support for CX (with the required SSD also having to be added) - so I've not been loading that.

Remember that if you are exporting VPN configurations that the pre-shared keys (if you're using PSKs on your VPNs) are not included by default. You need to backup using "more system:running-config" (after a "term pager 0") or similar such approach.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card